Monday, 25 May 2015

Bank Holiday

Another Bank Holiday has come around and this weekend is the big weekend for gardening.  My garden has been sorely neglected in the past few weeks as I was busy with exams at work, and it needed a bit of an overhaul.  I had managed to sow some seeds a few weeks ago, just sunflowers and sweet peas, which I had tended on the kitchen windowsill.  Spot the difference:

 Mr Fothergill's seeds from the garden centre:


Verve seeds from B&Q:




(B&Q may be getting a strongly worded letter from me)


Anyway, I planned to sort out the garden this weekend so I got up bright and early on Saturday to make a start.

I deadheaded the camellia, weeded the borders, trimmed the edges of the lawn, planted the bedding plants, planted the sunflowers and sweet peas, emptied spring pots and heeled in the bulbs, planted up new pots and hanging baskets, top dressed existing permanent pots, sowed some annuals (Flanders poppies, cornflowers and love-in-a-mist), planted strawberry plants and finally watered everything and sprinkled slug pellets.  By 5.00pm I was shattered.

Yesterday I found that I'm too old for all day gardening.

I couldn't move!

2 comments:

ADDY said...

I know exactly what you mean. I find these days after gardening I get aches in places I didn't know I even had! But I bet the garden looks better for it and you can feel you have achieved something beautiful. Now all you've just got to do is water it, weed it, dead-head all through the summer....... ;)

Suburbia said...

Did a bit of that here too - lovely but exhausting!