Friday, 6 February 2015

Wolf Hall

So who's watching "Wolf Hall"?


The eagerly anticipated BBC production of Hilary Mantel's Man Booker Prize Winning novels "Wolf Hall" and "Bring up the Bodies" is a real triumph.  If there isn't a cluth of BAFTAs awarded to this series there is something wrong at the Academy!


Last summer I read Wolf Hall as part of our school library's Summer Challenge and at first I found it quite difficult to follow.  Written in the third person, it was difficult at times to know who "he" was, but I was advised to persevere and when I got used to the way it was written I was hooked - absolutely hooked.  It was one of those books that I couldn't put down.

I knew that the BBC were going to dramatise it this year, but what I didn't realise was that they were televising both books and it was airing in January.  I was saving "Bring up the Bodies" for this summer, but suddenly I needed to read it before the TV series started!

I always like to read the book first, and I couldn't record the series and not watch it because I was dying to see how the BBC had brought this evocate piece of historical fiction to the screen.  I finished the book last week and I've watched the first three episodes so far.

I have not been disappointed.

1 comment:

Muddling Along said...

I hadn't expected to like the TV adaption (I wasn't convinced that Damian Lewis would be right in his role) but I'm having to eat my words - I've found it really compelling and a perfect companion to the original books