Friday, 20 February 2015

London - City of Culture?

It's half term and we've just returned from a few days in London.

It's only two hours on the train from Manchester for next to nothing (daughter's return fare was £10), so we booked a four star Best Western hotel in Earl's Court courtesy of Tesco vouchers, ordered our Visitors Oyster Cards on-line and away we went.

So what did we do?

Well, what didn't we do?

We did Hamleys, an open top bus tour, The National Portrait Gallery, we saw "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" on Drury Lane, went on a river cruise, did The British Museum, The National Gallery and The Science Museum and walked from Buckingham Palace down the Mall and spotted Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall on the balcony at Clarence House (I wasn't convinced it was her, but hubby was adamant).

My favourite thing was the British Museum with the Rosetta Stone, the Sutton Hoo Helmet, the Elgin Marbles, Lindow Man and the beautiful Lewis chessmen:

  (I love how fed up the Queen looks!)


........ but unfortunately, my family are not as cultured as I am.  

Here they are in the amazing British Museum, with all its wonders of the world, and I catch them taking a selfie with an Easter Island head:



I just despair!

4 comments:

ADDY said...

Boy, that's worn me out. You'll need another half-term to recover!

Maggie May said...

That was a very eventful day! Wish I had that stamina! I used to!
You can't beat London, though, can you?
Maggie x

Linda Metcalf said...

You are so fortunate to have these great museums in London...and also that you have trains to get you there!

Muddling Along said...

I feel exhausted just reading that list (love the selfie!)