Sunday, 22 December 2013

Gingerbread House

In addition to our Christmas Cake this year, daughter wanted to make a gingerbread house.  I've never tried making one, but I thought "I'm sure it can't be that difficult" (famous last words).  So I dug out my old Christmas editions of Good Food and found this one:


Then Mary Berry did one on this week's Great British Bake Off Christmas edition and made it look so easy, so, armed with Mary's wise words we started.

It did take us nearly an entire day, but I think the result was worth it:



Daughter wants to eat it immediately, but I can't bear to break it up at all!

If you have a spare 7 hours this Christmas (ha ha!) and would like to make one, the instructions can be found here.

2 comments:

Claire said...

7 hours??!!!! We just got a kit and put it together and decorated it! Can't have the oven on in the hot weather for ages and it's too hot to get it to cool quickly and then it's too hot to pipe the icing!! BUT yours looks absolutely lovely and very yummy....I let the boys rip into ours on Boxing Day in the afternoon and I mean rip!!! x

ADDY said...

It's beautiful. Kay made one complete with candy canes, smarties and jellies and brought part of it home yesterday. She hade put a photo on facebook so I could see it but she and her friends tore into it a few days ago, so I got to eat some of the remaining front elevation!