Monday, 4 November 2013

Admitting the Inevitable

I joined the Manchester Chorale in 1993 and was given a uniform of long black skirt, white blouse and maroon cummerbund and tie (I know, but it was the early 90s).

Time moved on, as did choral fashion and in 2003 we had dresses made to measure and changed to blue silk scarves:

(That's me, second row, second from left)

I am pleased to say that a decade on, the dress still fits and providing I watch my weight, no problem with Chorale concerts.

However, when we sing at the Bridgewater Hall we are required to wear long black skirts and black shirt.

Now, the skirt I was given in 1993 has a 25 inch waist and I have been trying to squeeze into it for the past few years with little success (safety pins have been involved) and so I have finally given in.

I have now accepted that I will never again have a 25 inch waist and so, last Thursday, remembering that I have a sewing machine now, I bought some fabric and made myself a new choir skirt:


This is me backstage at the Bridgewater Hall in my new skirt for the concert we did on Sunday consisting of "The Armed Man" and some other of Karl Jenkins' pieces, conducted by the man himself.


I could breathe again!

6 comments:

Expat mum said...

Gosh, I think I was born with a waist that was bigger than a 25, but yes, we must just accept the inevitable!

Linda Metcalf said...

These days elastic and I are close friends....I can relate! You did a great job with the skirt.

Maggie May said...

I had to laugh at Expat mum's comment. I, too, can't ever remember having a 25inch waist!
You look very lovely as you are! And you look perfectly proportioned.
Maggie x

Nuts in May

Nicola Lamont said...

This is so funny! And I again have to agree with Expat mum!
Although I have stress to be a great way of losing weight lately.

Ladybird World Mother said...

Hooray for breathing!! Totally agree.... madness to squeeze into hellishly small waisted skirt and not breathe. Enjoy the singing!! x

Suburbia said...

As middle age has beckoned I have realised that elastic is definitely the way to go!