Saturday, 14 September 2013

Don't mention Qatar

So that was the summer holiday been and gone.  I've been back at work for a week and a half and it's like I've never been away.

Of course, the day I went back to work the shower decided to leak and pour through the hall ceiling.  Eight weeks I've been off and able to get things fixed, but no, fate waits until I go back to work and dumps on me.  Hubby tried silicone around the tray but no joy.  He then went into a deep depression because he doesn't do DIY.

Anyway, last weekend hubby was absent (football tournament) so I decided to fix it myself.  Three attempts, five hours and one tube of silicone later I had done it.  I did find that the best way to use silicone is to use the official 'gun' to pump it into a piping bag and then pipe it along the shower tray a la cake decorating.  You get a much neater finish.

So this week I was also back at choir.  Busy busy busy.  Lots of concerts coming up including an illustrious one with Karl Jenkins again in the Bridgewater Hall.

That's when hubby dropped his bombshell:

"Can I go to Qatar?" he asked.

"Qatar?!" I repeated, unsure whether I had heard him correctly or  not, "As in .... the Middle East?"

"Yes"

"When?"

"October half term"

"We're supposed to be going away then"

"Yes, well....." he continued, "That's the inspection visit.  We then go back for a week in December for the tournament"

"December?"  I cried, incredulously, "Just before Christmas and when I'm busy with concerts on top of work?"

"Yes"

"Well, no, I don't think you can"  I said, still not believing he would consider leaving me with daughter at half term when I have one concert and again a week before Christmas to go to a football tournament when I have two concerts in that week.

 (And remember, last year he left me to go on a jolly to Munich just before Christmas, daughter was ill and my dad got up at 6.30am to come and babysit so that I could go to work) 

(Remember also that he has a season ticket to City and attends nearly all games whether I'm working or rehearsing necessitating babysitters or missing rehearsals.  It's always me fitting around his hobby, never the other way round)

A few days later he tried again,

"So can I go to Qatar, then?" he asked.

"You're going to go anyway, aren't you?" I said.

Funnily enough, he seems to think I said "yes, you can go".

So I've pulled out of two of the concerts and need a babysitter for the third.

Seems he's allowed a hobby and I'm not.

Between that and the shower debacle, sometimes I wonder why I keep him!


1 comment:

Expat mum said...

Grrr. Sorry, but I"m angry on your behalf. Except we only have ourselves to blame. Not only wouldn't you dream of asking for such a huge "favour", but if he had demurred at all, you wouldn't have brought it up again. They (generalization) just keep pushing. And I'm probably guessing that if yo'd stuck to your guns he would have sulked and tried to make you feel guilty. Pah!