Friday, 23 August 2013

Owl Experience

Last April daughter was given a voucher for an Owl Experience at the Gauntlet Bird of Prey Centre.  We booked her in to do it this holiday and off we went.

We went early and looked round at the birds, then went to the "Meet and Greet" to meet some of the animals.  Later we went and watched a great flying display:


(these are kites fighting mid-air for some food)

Then it was daughter's turn for a whole hour one-to-one with a keeper and five different owls.  She held them, fed them and flew them.  The keeper did point out, when daughter kept saying "Aaaaw, cute!", that these were deadly animals and had actually featured on "Deadly 60" with Steve Backshall. 

Here are some highlights:

Lumpy:


Tallulah:


Gromit:


She said it was ......

"The best day of my life!"

5 comments:

ADDY said...

I adore owls and have a huge collection of them (ornaments not the real thing!) They reminded me of how I felt about Greg when I first met him - big eyes and worldly wise. :D

Suburbia said...

Oh my goodness, how wonderful!

(how she's grown!)

Crystal Jigsaw said...

I think these experiences are so precious; they show us how magnificent these birds really are and teach us to respect them. Lovely pictures.

CJ x

Maggie May said...

What a wonderful experience for her.
I've been doing a bit of catching up on your blog. to see what you've been up to!
Missed you and glad you are back.
Maggie x

Nuts in May

Lucy Campbell said...

what a great experience - might try that with my kids L x