Monday, 8 April 2013

Great British Sewing Bee

I didn't even realised this programme was happening until the day it was on.  Great British Bake Off with fabric and haberdashery!  Fab!

Apparently sewing is making a comeback.  We are snapping up sewing machines by the dozen and a sewing revolution is taking place across Britain.

I used to make my own clothes when I was in sixth form and at university.  Mainly because it was cheaper to make them than buy them, but, when cheap far eastern imports started arriving, it was cheaper to buy them than make them, so I stopped.

I've done cross-stitch for fun and I'm currently making daughter a patchwork quilt.  I occasionally borrow my mum's sewing machine for little projects such as making curtains for daughter's playhouse:

(Remember this?)

and I recently used it to make some bunting, but I haven't made clothes for twenty years.

Now, next year there is yet another of one of daughter's 

"Please send your daughter in a ******* costume" days

and this time it's Victorians.  I thought a quick apron and a mop cap would be pretty easy to do.  I studied them at Quarry Bank Mill to see how to make them and was pretty happy, but then daughter threw this in:

"If you go as a servant the teachers pick on you, if you go as a lady they don't, so I want to be a Victorian lady"

I can see her point, so I've been trying to think how I can concoct a Victorian lady's costume.  I've spent hours watching Long Susan in Ripper Street:



competely missing the story, to study her clothes, but I was struggling.  Then, after watching the Great British Sewing Bee I remembered that I was perfectly capable of following a pattern so a quick trip to Amazon yielded this:

I reckon the one on the bottom right without the ribbon across the bodice, made in a dark fabric and adorned with lace would produce a Victorian lady's dress.

The only trouble is, can I remember how to sew?

Help me, Patrick and May:




4 comments:

ADDY said...

I love sewing, knitting and crocheting, so this programme is right up my street. I make all my own curtains and am even considering reupholstering my chairs myself. I reckon I could out-sew any of the contestants I have seen so far. am so pleased it is getting people going again, as I was afraid the crafts would die out. I have taught Kay to knit and she has found it very relaxing when uni work stresses her out.

Working Mum said...

Addy - I'll be coming to you for help, then!

Polly said...

I am a terrible sewer! But I'm looking forward to seeing your finished product.

Working Mum said...

Polly - it's a project for the summer holiday so it will be while yet!