Sunday, 27 January 2013

Signature Shortbread Challenge

Why is January so long?

Interminable.

I'd just about had enough of getting up in the dark, going to work in the dark, coming home in the dark, and then, just when I was getting depressed and despondent due to lack of sunlight and the freezing temperatures, along came "The Great Comic Relief Bake Off" to cheer us all up again!

Having watched the first episode daughter challenged me to a signature shortbread challenge.

So, yesterday, we took a basic shortbread recipe and added our own twists:

I made maple and pecan flavour shortbread.
I added maple syrup and chopped pecans to the mixture before cutting into leaf shapes.

Izzy made citrus and ginger shortbread.
She added lemon and orange zest and a little ground ginger before cutting into shooting star shapes.

(Beautifully displayed on my Great British Bake Off cake stand which daughter bought me for Christmas)

Hubby was chief taster and declared the winner .................

............... Izzy!

(Damn, even when I'd pushed my biscuit back at him, saying "You haven't tasted it properly"!  I'm a sore loser.)

If you want to try your own Shortbread Challenge, the basic recipe is:

4 oz/ 100g butter
2oz/50g caster sugar
6 oz/150g plain flour
1 oz/ 25g cornflour

Cream the butter and sugar together.
Sift flour and cornflour into the mixture and mix together until flour worked into butter.
Turn out onto surface and bring together into a dough (don't overwork).
Roll out and cut out shapes.
Bake in oven gas mark 3/150 deg C fan oven for about 15/20 mins until golden.
Cool on wire rack.

Now go and design your own flavours.

And let me know how you get on!


2 comments:

Odette said...

they look yummy and just what i need for this long cold winter. i will try it. Thanks!

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Well the shortbread looks great but I'm not a fan of the GBBO. I think if I'd have watched that I'd have been even more depressed than I was when the snow was here!!

(I will learn to bake one day)

CJ x