Wednesday, 30 January 2013

Is it half term yet?

This is definitely the worst half term of the year.  

Going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark means that I'm not entirely sure if the sun rises during January.  I know it makes a brief appearance on a Wednesday when I'm forced to stand out in the freezing cold for 40 minutes on dinner duty, which this term seems to involve taking my life in my hands patrolling the area frequented by football and rugby playing teenage boys (I've already been hit on the head by a rugby ball once this term, maybe, if I can be knocked out by one, I'd get a few days off?).

I know that there's a half term holiday coming soon, but just to make it seem even further away, I've two parents' evenings to do before then as well as my usual 60 hour week of teaching, marking and preparing.

At times like these I need to remember my matra:

"Eight weeks summer holiday, eight weeks summer holiday"

Anyway, when half term finally does arrive (8th Feb we break up), I need to find things to occupy daughter for a week that don't involve too much money or energy (I'm knackered).

Testing the waters, I asked her if there was anything she'd like to do this half term.

"Make our own cinema in the lounge, do another bake off challenge, do something crafty, go to Styal Mill, make a scrapbook of horsey pictures from my Pony mags,................."

And the list went on.

Luckily, all free and most involve only a passive approach from me!



5 comments:

ADDY said...

I'l put money on it - you'll be just as busy and end up longing for the Easter hols. :¬}

Maggie May said...

It is definitely a low time of the year.
Everyone is tired through lack of sunshine and bugs are all around us. Everyone seems ill ........ but Spring IS on its way.
My snowdrops tell me that.
Maggie x

Nuts in May

Kath said...

Yes, soon be half term and out two boys birthdays to arrange too!

Crystal Jigsaw said...

You break up a week earlier than ours. January always seems a really long month doesn't it, perhaps because December feels so short with having Christmas holidays and all the excitement.

Enjoy half term.
CJ x

Saz said...

half terms, school hols...i miss them..
uni break is sooo not the same...asleep most of the time...my son not me..

xx