Friday, 28 December 2012

Surviving Christmas

We survivied Christmas.  I would describe it as a generally happy day, but a little tinged with sadness.  A difficult day to get through, but now it's done.

Father Christmas came and brought daughter a new bike and a surprise i-pod (TGFTesco Clubcard Vouchers!).  Although her favourite present seems to be a retro "Beetle" game; exactly the same as the one my brother and I played at our grandparents' house.  The old ones are the best!

I got a load of DVDs to keep me amused in 2013 including all three series of Downton Abbey and the complete "Good Life".  Hubby also surprised me with tickets to see "Wicked" next November (I'd been umming and ahhing about buying some), and tickets to see Robbie Williams and Olly Murs at City's Stadium in June (guess where he got that idea.....)!

I bought hubby a book of City Supporters' Songs which he has been regaling us with since Christmas Day.  What was I thinking?  And some kind person bought him a City gnome which I will try to hid in the shrubbery in the garden.

I've been cooking up a storm for days, but today is a day off; no visitors, no trips, no cooking.  I've been looking at booking a cottage for a week in the summer, but when did holiday cottages go up to £750 a week in the school hols?!

Think I'll put a DVD on and hit the Quality Street instead.



Meez 3D avatar avatars games

6 comments:

Sarah said...

£750 a week is indeed what it now seems to cost. I was horrified by this too and can no longer afford to rent a cottage in Mumbles during our summer holiday. We just stay put in Hornchurch at my mum's and do lots of things instead.

Glad you had a good Christmas even though it sounds a lot of work. Nice to have a day off too, perhaps your husband could take you all out for a pub lunch tomorrow too. :)

Suburbia said...

Cornwall cottages are way over that midsummer! It's ridiculous, yet they still fill all the ones that look half decent!

Glad you survived Christmas by the way

Working Mum said...

Sarah - it's the school hols that are the problem, outside of the school hols it's half the price, but what can you do? We're stuck with school hols.

Suburbia - Yep, we've done Cornwall. It's not so bad if you can share with another couple or family (we shared with my mum and dad and brother and his wife), but we're looking at cottages that sleep 3 this summer, sometimes only one bedroom and they're still £600!

Polly said...

Merry Christmas working mum, enjoy your DVD!

Clare said...

Same here, I got lots of DVD's I seem to be devouring boxed sets recently.

auntiegwen said...

I am still reeling from what centerparcs is costing for a weekend in January!!!! Hope 2013 is a good one for you and yours