Saturday, 10 November 2012

When will it stop?

I've been trying to look on the bright side, focus on the positive, look to the future as my life seems to be one long round of bad news, but today I failed:

Since August we have had the following to sort out with ours cars:
  • my car MOT and Service
  • hubby's car brakes (the day he went back to work)
  • hubby's car MOT
  • hubby's car ignition coil (on our holiday in Northumberland)
 and this week, as soon as I went back to work, my car started playing up.  Coughing, spluttering, not coping with hills, lack of power, etc.  I phoned the garage who said they thought it may be ingnition coils (like hubby's) so they ordered some in and I dropped my car off this morning.

No, it's not a coil; they don't know what it is and I need to leave the car with them for a day.

Working full time 10 miles from home means that this is very difficult to do.  I will have to drop my car off at 7am on Monday then hubby will take me and daughter to school.  He will have to collect daughter and me at 4.45pm and take us to daughter's choir practice, and then,  if my car's fixed, I'll have to collect it from the forecourt during the evening and go back and pay on another day after work.

If it's not fixed, I'm scuppered.  

On Tuesday hubby and I both have a Parents' Evening and won't finish work until about 8pm, I was going to dash home at 4.30pm, leave daughter with a babysitter and dash back to school, but goodness knows what I'll do with daughter if I've no car!

Today I came home from the garage and cried.




9 comments:

ADDY said...

Oh no. These things always come in clumps, but what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Well, that's the theory. Would it help if you hired a car for a few days?

Working Mum said...

Thanks, Addy. Apart from the cost of hiring, when would I get to the car hire place and how could I return the car? There is no room for maneouvre in my life.

Sarah@Sunshine said...

I feel your pain. "Stuff" like this happening makes it all quite overwhelming some days, like a jenga tower, where only one block has to be nudged for the lot to come tumbling down.
I say - have a good cry, being grown up is not all its cracked up to be x Hope it gets sorted x

Maggie May said...

Its just not fair the way life deals its blows.
I do hope you get the car back asap.
Good Luck with it.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Kelloggs Ville said...

Time to call on daughter's friends mums to do a bit of running around for you. Don't try to do it all yourself, when it all goes tits up you just have to scream for help. Most people are happy to do it. At least that might help with Izzy and if an after school activity like choir has to drop for a week it won't be the end of the world. Good luck x

Catharine Withenay said...

Oh, so now I understand your comment on my blog. Cars are marvellous until they don't work. Then we realise how much we rely on them. The only good thing about my car disasters was that the anticipated 2-3 weeks without a vehicle turned into 4 days with two of them!

Catharine Withenay said...

Just read the comment about car hire: Enterprise offer to bring the car to you and collect it at the end, if that helps. I used them when we had no car at all in Newcastle.
Good luck!

Working Mum said...

Kelloggsville - you are absolutely right about other mums; I take another child to choir on Mondays with Izzy (she works later than me) and his mum has offered to take Izzy home with her on Tuesday from after school club, give her tea and look after her until hubby can pick her up if my car is still out of action. Thank goodness for friends!

auntiegwen said...

Bless you, it never rains but it pours, hope all is well now.