Friday, 16 November 2012

Body Image Insight

A lot is written about young girls and body image.  The airbrushing of celebrities in magazines creating unobtainable ideals which girls try to emulate, resulting in psychological illness.  The Guide Association are doing a lot to stop these practices and to teach girls about normal bodies and I'm in complete agreement.  I've thought a lot about this with regard to my daughter as she is growing older, but something she said on Saturday gave me heart.

We were watching Strictly Come Dancing and our favourite, Lisa Riley.

"You can tell she's lost weight." Izzy said, "If she stays until the end, she may be normal size...................

...........................not Tess or Claudia size, but normal"

Hallelujah!

8 comments:

Sarah@Sunshine said...

So true! A worrying number of friends with teenage girls are dealing with the dreaded eating disorders. The pressure on these girls is immense - if I feel pressure to look a certain way at 45 - with all my years of wisdom (!!) then to be an impressionable teenager today must be so hard.

Catharine Withenay said...

Good on Izzy.
I think Lisa Riley is doing wonders for women - showing that being 'large' shouldn't stop you from doing anything - and it certainly doesn't mean that she can't dance! Every week I'm willing her to excel again.

Kelloggs Ville said...

I wonder what her perception of normal is though.this is where part of te problem lies in that underweight, over stretched and impossible to attain is being conditioned as 'the norm' and so children's understanding of what normal is not quite the reality of life. And it seems no matter how much we yell about it the world does not care.

Lorraine The Party Times said...

well done Izzy!!

Working Mum said...

Kelloggsville - it was the fact that she said "Not Tess or Claudia size" that pleased me. She thinks they're too thin. She seems to think normal is my size (I'm 5' 6" and size 10/12) which seems reasonable. Let's hope it stays that way!

Suburbia said...

Shame we can't help but criticize the over weight though. Her weight was the first thing I thought about when I saw her on there - not was she a good dancer, just how fat she was!

Iota said...

It's just so complicated, isn't it? I want my daughter to see a 'normal' weight as healthy and desirable, but I also don't want her to be judgmental of overweight people. So in that situation, should you, as a mum, say "yes, it's great that she's losing weight", or "she looks great just as she is"? I don't know. Important to accept people as they are, and as Catharine Withenay says, it's great that people are seeing that being large doesn't stop you dancing. On the other hand, I wouldn't want my daughter to think it's ok to be that large.

I think you're right to rejoice in Izzy's comment, though. Having a healthy appreciation of 'normal' is a wonderful thing for her.

Kelloggs Ville said...

I came back to see other views on this and I really like Iota's comment. Difficult ground.