Saturday, 27 October 2012

The Big Black Cloud

For the last three months I have felt like there has been a big black cloud hovering over me and my family.  August was awful with MIL's sudden illness and death, then September started with her funeral and continued with husband and I trying to cope with work and sorting out MIL's estate.  Both of us have been ill (hubby is never ill, so it was full blown Man Flu!) and we've been exhausted.

The light at the end of the tunnel was a week in beautiful Northumberland at half term, which we had booked last January.  I'd booked a lovely little cottage near Alnwick that slept 5 so my  mum and dad were coming along too.

All half term we'd looked forward to this.

If only we could get to Northumberland.

Fresh, sea air, a change of scenery and a good night's sleep.

Then, the week before we were due to go, my uncle died suddenly.  My lovely Uncle Les, who I grew up with (he and my aunt live around the corner from my parents, have no children, so my brother and I were always round there).  He and my aunt had gone on a coach holiday to Sussex, but on the first night he fell ill, an ambulance was called and took him to hospital.  My mum (his sister) was called at 3am and my parents dashed (if you can call a 5 hour drive a dash) to Sussex, but were too late. That was Mon 15 Oct.

We did go to Northumberland last Saturday, my parents followed the following day and we had a few days there, returning early for my uncle's funeral yesterday.

The big black cloud is still over us.

I'm going to look forward to Christmas.

Normal blog service will be resumed soon.



9 comments:

Claire said...

I'm afraid we're at the age now when the generation up from us starts going downhill and funerals become more of an occurrence.

So sorry to hear about your Uncle, hope you're Mum's doing OK, not long to go till Christmas and hopefully a more peaceful time for you all x

Maggie May said...

Oh dear....... I am so sorry. It does seem that bad things come in a whole cluster and at times makes you feel completely overwhelmed by troubles.
I really hope that things will get better and that you will feel rested before too long.
I find it easier to face each day separately without too much thought about tomorrow. I know thats not always easy though.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Working Mum said...

Claire - yes, I know what you mean,we had lots of weddings in our twenties and now funerals, but my uncle was only 64 so it seems too soon somehow, I thought I'd have him for a few more years yet.

Maggie - there are times in our lives when lots of bad things happen, that's why I try to relish the good times, and they will return, I know they will.

Polly said...

Take care of yourself and your family working mum.

BNM said...

Big hugs to you all.

BNM

Kelloggs Ville said...

I am very sorry for your loss and even harder for you when things are already difficult. Love to you and your family.

libby said...

So sorry.....trying times and sadness do seem to come in little clusters. Chin up.

ADDY said...

I tried to leave a comment earlier but I think my internet was playing up, so not sure if it was sent or not.

Bad things always seem to happen in clusters and I am so sorry you are going through this bad patch. Try to get through to Christmas. Then get someone else to cook the meal, buy everyone gift vouchers instead of having to try to find presents and put your feet up to recuperate. I feel for you. x

Mummykimmy said...

I'm sorry it's all happening at once, it must be very hard for you and all your family. I hope you feel stronger and brighter in the not too distant future x