Tuesday, 18 September 2012

Lemon Meringue Cupcakes

Today is my birthday and as per our departmental tradition, we have to have cake!  Since we are all lemon fans, I decided to make lemon meringue cupcakes:



The cakes are a basic victoria sponge recipe ( 6oz butter, 6 oz sugar, 6 oz flour, 3 eggs whizzed together in a mixer with a few spoons of milk) with some lemon zest stirred into it baked in the oven at 160 degrees C for about 45 - 50 mins (they should sound hollow when tapped on their bottoms!) and then allowed to cool.

After cooling I scooped out a teaspoon of cake from each one and filled with a spoonful of lemon curd.  Then, on the top, I piped Italian meringue:

Put 170g of caster sugar in a saucepan (not non-stick) and cover with water.  Bring to boil slowly.

Meanwhile whisk three egg whites together on a medium speed until light and foamy.

When the sugar has reached the soft ball stage turn the mixer up to high speed and slowly pour the sugar syrup into the egg whites.  Keep whisking for about 15 minutes until the meringue is light and fluffly and the bowl has cooled down a little.  The meringue is now ready to pipe onto the cakes and I finished them with a sprinkle of edible glitter:



(Italian meringue is already cooked by the hot sugar syrup so there is no need to return the cakes to the oven, but it you want a golden colour you can pop them back in the oven for 10 mins or so)


8 comments:

Claire said...

They look yummy - are you sure you can't deliver to Australia?! Hope you have had a lovely Birthday, and hope the card arrived on time!

ADDY said...

Happy Birthday WMOTV. They look yummy. Is the Italian meringue hard or soft?

libby said...

Happy Birthday.........don't eat too much cake...however lovely they look!

Working Mum said...

Addy - Italian meringue is soft and silky and just scrummy!

Anna said...

It was my birthday too on Tues 18th. I have followed your blog for a year now but never commented but now feel a kinship as we share birthday! My team made me cakes... Lemon drizzle loaf cakes fab!

family Affairs said...

Happy birthday and they look DELICIOUS Lx

Working Mum said...

Anna - Welcome! And happy birthday to you. You're now the sixth person I know with the same birthday as me!

Lorraine The Party Times said...

making me very peck-ish...looks yummy!!