Sunday, 30 September 2012

Crabapple Jelly

Last week a friend gave me some crabapples from her tree.  I've never had crabapples before, but I was very keen to try a new culinary experience.  I know you can't eat them raw, so I decided to give crabapple jelly a whirl.

After looking up various recipes, I decide on the following method:

Halve the crabapples and put in large pan.  Cover with water, bring the boil and then simmer for about an hour.

Now the fun bit - you have to strain the mixture over night through a muslin cloth.  Luckily, I have loads of muslin cloths.  I bought a big pack of them when I was pregnant because they were on every list of baby essentials, but I never figured out what they were for, hence I still have a big pack of them.  However, I don't have a stand to attach it to over the pan, so I rigged up a seive system:



Then, since recipes seemed to differ on the amount of sugar, I went for a three quarter ratio of sugar to juice. (1 kg of juice to 750g sugar).  Add the juice of half a lemon and then boil on a rolling boil for about 20 minutes until setting point is reached:


Pour into sterilised jars and leave to cool.

Voila:



To be honest, I think it was too much sugar as it seems quite a firm set, so next time I think I'd try a  half sugar to juice ratio.

5 comments:

ADDY said...

If ever you get tired of teaching, you could set up your own cottage industry.

Jen said...

Looks tasty! Tangential, I know, but the muslin squares? My kids used to spit up a bit of milk after each feed, putting a square over my shoulder to catch it would save my top.

Working Mum said...

Addy - daughter has it all worked out; she's going to run an Equestrian Centre and I'm going to run its cafe!

Jen - Thank you! I thought I was being a bit dim not using them. Can't remember what I used when winding daughter, but obviously not muslin! At least they make good dusters and I can use them in the kitchen.

Tawny said...

That looks lovely! In a wierd coincidence, I was given about 2lb of blackberries, so I am having a go at bramble jelly! I don't have any muslin so I am using a brand new teatowel, same difference really!

Polly said...

Yum. We use the muslin for swaddling in the summer, nice and cool.