Saturday, 28 July 2012

Thank you, Brown Owl

Daughter is on her first Brownie Holiday this weekend.  We dropped her off last night at a wonderful Scout campsite not too far away.  The sun was shining, the camp looked so exciting and for a little moment I was quite jealous as I remembered my own camps as a Guide and then a Cub Leader.

But then, it hit me...................

...................... a child free weekend!!!

Oh, the relaxed feeling I have knowing that no one is going to pop up and say "Can  you open this for me?", "Can you fix this?",  "Can I go on your laptop?" or "What shall I do now?".

No having to listen to piano practice, paint your own mugs, bake cookies or make sticker pictures.

No forcing her to brush her teeth, have a wash and brush her hair (at the age of 8 she still won't believe that yes, you have to do it every morning)

This morning, I just picked up my handbag and left the house as I used to do years ago.  No trying to pursuade a sulky, whinging child to put her shoes on and fetch a coat whilst saying "Yes, we do need to go and buy food or there will be no tea!"

This afternoon I can sit down with a book and a cup of tea undisturbed.

Thank you, Brown Owl.

3 comments:

Kelloggs Ville said...

and do you know what? No matter how much you're enjoying it at home, she's having ten times as much fun. I call that win:win!

Polly said...

What absolute bliss

Suburbia said...

Fab isn't it... But only for a short while