Tuesday, 24 July 2012

Talk about fudging it!

As a friend has just pointed out, I haven't written anything on my blog for a while.  How remiss of me!  It seems to me that life just gets busier and busier and I don't know where the time goes.

It didn't help that at the end of term I thought it would be a lovely idea for daughter to make homemade fudge for her teachers. (Yes, I know, I never pick the easy option, do I?)

"Easy, " I thought, remembering that I used to be able to make fudge, twenty years ago!

(You've spotted the flaw in the plan, haven't you?)

So the weekend before she broke up, I phoned my dad for the recipe (he is the master fudge maker in the family), we practised and it was almost perfect.

Of course, none of it survived the weekend, so on Wednesday evening we doubled the quantities to make enough for three teachers (plus a bit extra for us), found I couldn't get the temperature high enough and ended up with a tray of beige sludge.  Disaster!

So the following day it was off to the local shop after school for more ingredients and we made the fudge in two batches on Thursday evening.  Exhuasted (from all the beating) and boiling hot, daughter and I bagged up the fudge in pretty cellophane bags, made three gift tags and took them into school the following day.

It would have been much easier to buy three boxes of chocolates!

Anyway, that was two weeks ago.  I've had a holiday in Gran Canaria since then (promise I'll blog about that next) and I've got the rest of the lovely summer holiday stretching out ahead of me, hopefully providing lots of blog fodder.

Tomorrow I'm going shopping for a new guitar taking my guitar guru (my aging rocker of a dad, yes, really,  he sometimes plays along with this band) to advise me.  Unfortunately, my dad's idea of a good guitar is a £2000 Fender or Les Paul, I'm thinking more £200.  Still, it should be a fun day out!


4 comments:

Sarah said...

Fudge - yum! I don't know the last time I ate fudge. Maybe the fact that it's so tricky to make is the origin of the phrase 'to fudge it'.

I hope you find a guitar in your price range, it'll be fun hunting for it anyway.

Crystal Jigsaw said...

It does sound like fun!

As for the fudge, I'd definitely just go and buy some. I do envy people who can make it themselves, but if I did that I'd be as wide as a double decker bus, lol.

CJ x

ADDY said...

Had to smile at the sludgy fudge. I made carrot cake cupcakes last week for Kay's 21st bash and for some reason could not get the frosting to solidify - I had three attempts and still it wouldn't go solid. I was following a recipe too. In the end had to make do with runny frosting!

Maggie May said...

The fudge sounded too yummy to part with!
Enjoy the rest of the summer.
Maggie X

Nuts in May