Saturday, 23 June 2012

In which Life mirrors Art

So, I've been busy, busy, busy as usual.  Daughter enjoyed her trip to the Lake District and has just about recovered from a night without sleep (the staff put her room back to bed at 4am when she and her friends were all up having a midnight feast!).  I've been busy writing reports and UCAS references for my pupils, rehearsing for my mammoth three concerts in a fortnight coming up and today I was a parent helper on daughter's singing workshop day.

Originally she didn't want to go because the friends she has at her choir couldn't go, so I suggested that I volunteer to go as a helper and she was happy then.  It turned out really well as she made friends with some other girls in the breaks playing Uno and playground games.  She enjoyed the singing and did a great concert at the end.

Now for the title of my post.

Whilst the children were rehearsing I just had to wait for any toilet trips so I took along a book.  I've just got into "Agatha Raisin" and was reading about the "Vicious Vet" who was conning vulnerable ladies out of large sums of money.

Just before the concert began, hubby turned up and said that his aunt has been scammed.  Luckily, a relative stranger had spotted what she was doing and contacted the police.  By the time the police became involved today the scammers were asking her for £15, 000!

I was shocked.

Shocked that a competent woman had been naive enough to fall for their tricks.  What was she thinking?

But when I thought about it, it makes sense.  She's a different generation.  Trusting and honest.  My generation are more cynical.  We assume that things are not what they seem, we expect the worst, we think people are out for what they can get.  We are not afraid to ignore requests or put the phone down.  Her generaton are too polite and scammers prey on these admirable qualities.

Hubby has told her that in future, if she is approached about anything that involves money, vouchers, bank details, credit cards, etc. she should run it by him first.  She thought she had no one to ask.

I just hope she does.

4 comments:

Pippa W said...

How terrible for your husbands Aunt, glad someone took the time to contact the police. Also Yay for the concert!

Maggie May said...

I'd like to think that I'd spot a scammer as I'm suspicious by nature. However, I know they are professional, smooth operators.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Polly said...

What a fright for your Aunt. Also love that a good old midnight feast is still high on the old school camp agenda!

Crystal Jigsaw said...

You have summed up the older generation to perfection. Being too trusting can be a very simple way to live, but it can also be a dangerous way in these times.

CJ x