Wednesday, 2 May 2012

Walk like an Egyptian

You know how I hate those "Please have your child dressed as a crocodile/persian princess/tax collector on Friday" letters we get from school?  Well, this year I thought I'd get ahead of the game.

Every year the Year 3s in my daughter's school have an Egyptian Day when they have to go to school dressed as an Egyptian.  In anticaption of this I purchased an Egyptian outfit from Amazon, we decided we'd plait her hair the night before so it was wrinkly like Cleopatra and I bought blue eyeshadow and black eyeliner to paint her eyes.  All sorted!

Then, last week daughter brought home the term calendar.

No Egyptian Day!

I sent her in to school to find out what was going on.

She came home the next day and said:

"Because it's the Olympics we're not having Egyptian Day this year, we're having Greek Day instead."

Aaaargh!

Any ideas how to change an Egyptian costume into a Greek one?

11 comments:

Expat mum said...

Oh no! Serves you right for trying to be organised. Let me think; in year 5 (4th grade) our kids do both the Greeks and the Egyptians. To convert -
- get rid of any collars and cuffs
- get another piece of material (either same or contrasting colour)
- pin/sew it to the shoulder and draper it down to a belt at the waist and down as far as possible.
- wash hair and put in rags to create ringlets
- pin half up
- find a pair of strappy, flat sandals
- add a bunch of plastic grapes somewhere
Voila!

Kelloggs Ville said...

I wrote a post about the origin of Murphy's law last weekend - goes out this Friday LOL Anyhoo they all looked much the same didn't they except the Greeks were a bit baggier! Couldn't you just kill the teachers sometimes...ahhh *cough*..sorry Miss!

Working Mum said...

Expat Mum - fantastic, thank you! I've just ordered her some strappy sandals for summer, I think I know what you mean about the drapy material and I can do the hair thing. Brilliant!

Kelloggsville - Murphy's Law indeed! Just when I thought I'd got on top of this school costume thing!

Expat mum said...

I'm glad all this useless crafty information I have in my head is of help from time to time! I want before and after photos!

Mellow Yellow said...

Ahhh - but remember the Greeks became Egytians with Ptolemy - so really she could go as an Egyptian and explain that she is following in Alexander the Greats footsteps and conquering Egypt !

Denise x

Claire said...

Add a bunch of plastic grapes somewhere made me chuckle!!!

Working Mum said...

Mellow Yellow - that's great, she's even studied Alexander the Great this year, so we can really back that one up!

Suburbia said...

I'd be fuming if I was you!!

Maggie May said...

That is so annoying. Typical of what goes on in any school.
Have you got an old white sheet?
Maggie x

Nuts in May

ADDY said...

Forget HER Greek costume. Just go into the History Teacher's classroom and smash a few plates in protest.

Polly said...

Can I keep my kids home from school? It all sounds too complicated to me.