Sunday, 27 May 2012

Time for a Reality Check?

The weather was fabulous this weekend so hubby announced that we would have a barbecue.  Just the three of us, in the garden, enjoying the sunshine.

I bought some salad stuff and for a treat, some half price Ben & Jerry's ice cream.  He suggested going to our famous local butcher for some food.  I said to get us some sausages and if they've any nice kebabs, get three of those.  So yesterday morning he set off on his bike to go to Taylor's.

When he came back he presented me with a receipt for £65.

£65!?!

The air was blue.  

How could 6 sausages and 3 kebabs cost £65?

That's the cost of a week's food shopping!

Turns out he's having a barbecue on Wednesday for his sixth form class and he'd bought them each two of Taylor's best 100% British beef burgers and four, yes four, of Taylor's bespoke British pork and apricot and pork and chestnut sausages. 

He's spent more on five sixth formers than I spend on my family in a week!!

I pointed out that he could have gone to Iceland and bought Birds Eye burgers and Wall's sausages and the sixth formers wouldn't know the difference.

Sometimes I think he lives on another planet.

We'll be on chickpeas and butterbeans for the rest of the week.




11 comments:

Kelloggs Ville said...

School girl error there: letting him go alone.

Polly said...

Is it any consolation that similar things happen in this household on a regular basis?

Lorraine The Party Times said...

Am very impressed that you can do a weekly food shop for £65!!

Anonymous said...

Put the expensive meat in the freezer and get the cheap stuff for the students anyway. That way you are set up for bbqs for ages for the family without having to send him shopping for a while! Love reading your blog - it's a welcome window into someone else's reality which always makes me smile.

Expat mum said...

OMG - it's not as if 6th formers even appreciate expensive meat!

Maggie May said...

Oh my Goodness...... they are really spoilt pupils!
I think you will be doing your own shopping in future!
Bet the air was blue for a while or were you speechless!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Working Mum said...

Kelloggsville - you are so right, what was I thinking?

Polly - yes, it is

Lorraine - it helps that hubby and I are provided with lunches and daughter's are included in school fees, so I'm only doing small evening meals.

Anonymous - I've considered that! I just needs to get to Iceland to replace the stuff before Wed

Expat Mum - exactly! Why doesn't he know this?

Maggie - the annoying thing is that they don't know they're spoilt because they won't realise they are eating £50 worth of meat!

Claire said...

That made me laugh - not the hubby's antics but the fact that you can do a food shop at 65 pounds!

I spend around $350 per week on food here and that's really average...plus you can't get veg or fruit that's not in season, we're very lucky this year and the grape season has gone on for so long and we can still get grapes at this time of year!

Working Mum said...

Claire - that sort of food bill would send me off the deep end! I'm really careful, make everything from scratch, don't buy cakes, biscuits or crisps or any other frivolities (except wine, have to have wine and that's bought in bulk for discount). And as I said to Lorraine, I don't have to buy any lunches as we all get school lunches provided. We fill up at school and eat little at home. The bill goes up in the holidays!

Anonymous said...

Bit late making a comment but I would like to say you are extremely fortunate to be able to feed 3 people on that amount for a week. I am in Belgium and I spend that at least for 2 people if not more. Meat and fish, good quality, is extremely expensive, and people complain about the UK but compared to here it is cheap!

Working Mum said...

Anonymous - I think you missed the point of my post, but in answer to your comment I think all of Europe is struggling with increased food prices. The UK is also expensive and not many people can feed their families for £65 a week. I can only do it because all three of us have lunches provided for us at school/work (as part or our salary or school fees) so I don't cook very much during the week. If we didn't have good lunches provided for us I would spend twice that amount, which I do in the school holidays.