Sunday, 6 May 2012

Take your eye off the ball......

This week I had a bit of reality call.  As a Working Mum I try very hard to make sure that "mum" is the job that gets priority.  However, you take your eye off the ball for one minute and it hits you in the face.

I try hard to make sure that daughter eats healthily, gets enough sleep, goes to choir and Brownies, has swimming lessons and piano lessons.  I help her with her homework, her music theory, her Brownie badges.  I play games and puzzles with her, we do crafty stuff and I teach her life skills like cooking, sewing and cleaning.  I also take her horseriding, which she absolutely loves. I read her a bedtime story every night and I listen to her read, especially her own stories. The list is endless.  Trying to be a good mum is an exhausting and relentless job.

However, I failed to ensure enough fresh air and exercise over these last few rain sodden weeks.  Dancing to Just Dance 3 on the Wii doesn't seem to have been a good enough substitute for the playing out, cycling and walking that daughter usually does. 

Here's what happened:

This week at school they had to practise for their first "proper" athletic sports day next month.  On Wednesday daughter was timed running the 400m.  I say "running", it turned out she walked half of it.

I was horrified.

My daughter is the lazy one who walks 400m instead of running.

I was distraught thinking that I had failed in my duty.

Husband was furious and shouted at her.

I told him not to shout, but to do something about it.

So yesterday morning hubby asked her to run round the block with him (about 800m) to start getting her fitter.

She beat him!

Turns out she just doesn't like running, she can do it perfectly well, but other kids walked the 400m so she did!

She is her mother's daughter.
(If Helen is reading this, she'll know what I  mean, we walked a lot of 1500m and cross country runs together at school!)

Panic over.

9 comments:

Crystal Jigsaw said...

She's not the only one who doesn't like running! I hate it - could do it if I had to, but prefer not to have to!!

CJ x

Polly said...

I was never much of a runner either, so I can relate to your daughter. Sounds to me like she gets plenty of great mum time, we can't love everything.

Expat mum said...

I'm like that with swimming. My doctor has told me that I should be swimming as it's the only thing that won't aggravate my back. But I hate it.
And obviously, running's out of the question for me so I just spend gentle time on the eliptical.

Maggie May said...

Not everyone likes running and walking fast is supposed to be good for you. Mind you, at her age, your daughter should have the energy!
Don't blame yourself for everything. You are a human being, not a machine!

I've just started being able to run for the bus without too much pain! Yay!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Kelloggs Ville said...

As I was reading the start of your post I was thinking 'but loads of the girls walk it and most of them will be fit as fiddles!' she will also no doubt also be shortly learning how to avoid school showers and adapt any even slight injury to avoid her least favourite sports. It's a good sign, it means she's normal lol. Ps don't fall into a habit of blaming yourself you can give a child a good grounding and sterling foundations but you can't make her drink! Sometimes she just won't do stuff - and the older she gets the more it will happen, save your sanity and accept it or join the rest of us in drinking gin :)

mater familias said...

I didn't even hear about this - now I will have to ask mine what he did (or was it just girls?) For your interest, I saw another girl from your daughter's class and her Dad out for a run near Bramhall Park when I was on my way to the kids' swimming lessons on Saturday.

ADDY said...

I'm with Izzy - why run when you can walk and why walk when you can eat chocolate! We are all different and sometimes not fitting into the mould makes us individual. Sounds like you are doing a super job on the mum front as well as having many irons in other fires. I take my hat off to you.

Working Mum said...

Kelloggsville - thank you for letting me know she's normal. I think it's my default setting to think I've done something wrong, but I'll get better at this parenting lark eventually! PS Already hitting the gin.

Mater Familias - that made me laugh, you'll have to tell me who it was when I see you.

BNM said...

Oh yes, I used to walk things too! And when on the odd occasion I run now, I have to hold my tits! Makes the girls laugh!

BNM