Tuesday, 22 May 2012

Mumbling Maestro

On Saturday we were conducted by the composer Karl Jenkins.  To say he was not the most communicative of conductors would probably be an understatement.  He didn't really say very much in rehearsal and he certainly didn't raise his voice to enable us to hear him. 

As I was on the front row of the choir, I tried desperately to listen to his instructions to the Leader of the Orchestra to hear where he wanted us to sing from or if he wanted to repeat a section, and then I let other singers know what I thought he'd said.

At one point during the rehearsal, Emily, on my right, leaned over to me and said:

"I can't place his accent.  Is he Dutch?"

I replied:

"No, he's Welsh, but I understand your mistake"

3 comments:

BNM said...

Oh, yes the problems of having a random accent. People have thought that I was Jordie & South African in the past.

A very Welsh BNM

ADDY said...

I love his music ever since I first heard The Armed Man, but had never seen him. I must admit when I saw the clip you put on your last post, I was very disappointed as I had imagined him much younger and less dishevelled! If he mumbles, he is either very shy (and modest)or just doesn't think about anyone else. What a shame you had to grope your way through the rehearsals. Next time, get everyone to sing badly and maybe he'll get the message.

Maggie May said...

Accents can be a strain to the ears. I hate it when I don't always hear instructions & I hate standing in the front row.
Maggie X

Nuts in May