Monday, 16 April 2012

Where do you get your energy?

Lots of people have asked me where I get my energy from to do all that I do.

Well, let me let you into a little secret - I don't.

During term time I work, eat, sing and sleep. I do eight hours at work, pick daughter up, make the tea, do some housework and then after daughter has gone to bed, I do some school work and I'm in bed by 9.30pm - 10.00pm in order to cope with the next day. At weekends I catch up with housework, help daughter with homework and sometimes have a concert. I find it hard to fit everything in.

By the end of term I could sleep standing up.

In the holidays I try to recuperate.

This Easter I basically slept the holiday away.

I slept 9 - 10 hours per night and fell asleep on the sofa nearly every afternoon.

I even fell asleep on my parents' sofa last Monday!

I think my energy stores were severely depleted and my body was telling me to stop, so I did.

I have failed as a mother to do any of the things I wanted to do with daughter: we haven't been ice skating or to the cinema, we haven't been shopping to buy her summer clothes, not even new summer dresses for school, we haven't been cycling, walking or swimming or even managed to play in the garden thanks to the April showers.

I have failed dismally with the list of things I wanted to get done on the house this holiday. I haven't done any of the gardening, the house is about a quarter spring cleaned, I haven't cleaned the windows (they are still filthy from the work we had done outside last November!) and it was only yesterday that I managed to summon the energy to clean the inside of my car (hubby had cleaned the outside for me while I was asleep on the sofa!).

I did do my "Come Dine with Me" evening; I chose to do mine in the holidays so that I had time to prepare and to enjoy it.

So there you have it, my Easter holiday was spent mostly sleeping and tomorrow I'm back onto the treadmill for another six weeks.

Roll on half term!

9 comments:

BNM said...

Glad its not just me who slept loads! I think its just a switching off from work thing - switched off and then sleep.
Back in work today and know I'll be knackered tonight!

BNM

Crystal Jigsaw said...

I reckon teachers get little credit for what they do during term time. I know the teachers at Amy's school work so very hard and Amy's class teacher in particular rarely leaves school before 5pm, even though school finishes at 3.10.

CJ x

Expat mum said...

But it was an Easter break, not necessarily a holiday. You can have a lie down if you want to, and it sounds like you did a great job of listening to your body.

not quite there yet said...

Thank you, that made me feel much more normal. I'm also a full time teacher with children and my holiday to do list was a disaster area!!

Suburbia said...

You always need to listen to your body and sleep when you can. You are lucky, my children would never let me sleep in the day when they were younger!

Mummy Cow said...

Ditto! Thank you for your very honest post. It makes me feel better about my sleep-dominated break.
MCx

Fi from Four Paws and Whiskers said...

Thank you... I feel better knowing you have limits! Sometimes you just HAVE to stop for a while.

ADDY said...

Well, that's reassuring. You made me feel so incompetent with the little I do from one end of the week to the other.

Lorraine The Party Times said...

Love Easter as no requirement or expectation to catch up with everyone like at Christmas, yet longer than half terms but does not drag like summer sometimes can...Easter break is meant for rest and rest alone!!