Thursday, 12 April 2012

Start your own Family Tradition

Last year I instigated a new family tradition.

I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but I know what I mean.

When I was young we did it every Sunday and I have very fond memories of it.

What is it?

It's Afternoon Tea!

I have memories of sandwiches, jelly and mum's homemade cakes (her butterfly cakes were legendary) whilst watching "The Phoenix and the Carpet" or some other BBC children's drama on Sunday teatime.

So last year I decided I wanted Izzy to have the same memories and every Sunday, well, every Sunday we're all at home, we have Sunday Dinner in the dining room where we talk about our week and then later we have our own Afternoon Tea in the lounge.

We have sandwiches, cheese scones, crumpets or something similar, followed by jelly and homemade cakes or biscuits. All beautifully presented on cake stands and sandwich trays and eaten off vintage pressed glass plates.

Unfortunately the BBC haven't obliged with a Sunday afternoon drama so we've turned to Lovefilm and Play.com for our entertainment and whilst eating our tea we have worked our way through "Worzel Gummidge" and "Wind in the Willows" and we are now working our way through the first series of "Merlin".

This week it was Easter Sunday so we had leftover cheese and biscuits from Good Friday, Simnel Muffins, Raspberry Buns and Blackcurrant Jelly:



What are your family traditions?

5 comments:

Maggie May said...

That took me right back to my childhood because we had that kind of meal too, but it was called *high tea* One tradition in our family was after a roast lunch on a Sunday, we all went for a walk and many other families seemed to do the same.
Walking seems to be a lost art now...... like letter writing.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Suburbia said...

I think it's fab having family traditions, my mum is brilliant at it

Your tea looks splendid :-)

Rhian Drinkwater said...

I think this is a really great idea. At the moment we often have snacks of some kind in front of a DVD or similar mid-afternoon, but I do like the idea of formalising it a bit more and making a proper tradition of it.

sally in norfolk said...

what a lovely thing to do.... I miss doing things with my boys now they are all grown up :-(

Pink Fairy Vicky said...

What a really nice idea and wonderful memories are being made x x