Friday, 6 April 2012

Saturday Night Adventures in Manchester

Since January I think I have seen more of the members of the Manchester Chorale, than I have of my own family! We've had so many rehearsals and concerts I think I should just move in with the musical director!

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago we had a concert in deepest Lancashire and one member of the sopranos, a Phd student who lives in City Centre Manchester, asked if I could give her lift as she doesn't drive and there was no way to get there by public transport.

In the spirit of my New Year's Resolution I agreed, but I asked her to catch the tram up to where I live as I don't like driving in the centre of Manchester.

All was agreed.

On the day of the concert I picked her up at 3pm by the tram station and off we went.

We did a great concert with a very appreciative audience, packe up our stuff and headed back to Manchester.

At about 11pm, driving along the M66, I realised that we would only be getting back at about 11.30pm so I asked my passenger if she'd checked the time of the last tram into the city.

She hadn't.

Well, I couldn't drop her at a tram station not knowing if there was a tram to take her back into the city, so I said I would drive her home to Picadilly.

I turned off the motorway onto a road I've never driven before in my life, which luckily took me straight to Picadilly where she very gratefully alighted and went home to her flat.

I then had to figure out how to get home!

Now, I don't like driving in the city at the best of times, but 11.30pm on a Saturday night is not one of them. Taxis are most unforgiving, beeping at me while I'm working out which lane I need to be in, and the added obstacle of avoiding the drunken revellers who walk in front of your car is just not fun.

I eventually managed to find my way to Deansgate and then I was on my way home.

"I bet hubby is worried about me" I thought, "Maybe I should stop and text him, but my phone is in my bag in the boot. I'll go straight home. He'll just have to worry."

I eventually got home, opened the front door

and heard .............................

............... the sound of snoring.

Not worried at all then!

7 comments:

Kelloggsville said...

It's not that men don't worry so much as they don't believe in meeting trouble half way! you know we would have been pacing the hallway and then yelling 'why the hell didn't you call' !

ADDY said...

Hmpf. You are going to have to train him much better than that! I hate driving in central London for the same reason. Too many bus lanes, one-way systems, speed cameras, congestion charge cameras, speeding police cars, people stepping off pavements without warning etc. Driving is a nightmare and so much easier with public transport. Glad you got home safely though. ;)

Polly said...

Any why am I not surprised? Because its not any different on this side of the world either!!

Suburbia said...

Great to be missed then?!!!

Maggie May said...

The times I've worried about my husband just like you did...... and usually he is snoring on the settee oblivious to everything!
Happy Easter.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Lorraine The Party Times said...

well done you - you should give yourself a pat on the back!

libby said...

K is absolutely right....they just don't worry the way we do!