Sunday, 15 April 2012

Come Dine with Me on Broadway!

Last night I did my night of "Come Dine with Me" with friends.

I had a little wobble last week when I went to the butchers to order the venison only to be told "It's the end of the season, you won't get any till September". I had visions of going to Dunham Massey Park with a shot gun and getting my own. Luckily, Tesco came to the rescue.

I decided on a theme of Broadway since we are all singers (except hubby) and most of us have been in musicals (hubby has been stage manager for a few, though so he knows a few).

I spent a couple of hours on i-tunes on Friday night choosing various songs from shows for a playlist which formed the background music to our meal.

Who knew the musical I liked the most songs from was "The Boyfriend"?

I spent three days preparing food and cooking up a feast then the big night arrived.

On arrival we had Overture and Beginners
Champagne Cocktails (brandy, champagne and a sugar lump infused with Angostura bitters)
Cheese Sables

Act I
Mushroom and Quails' Egg Tartlets with a rocket salad garnish
Accompanied by homemade bread rolls

Act II
Venison in a Port and Blackberry Glaze
Potato and Parsnip Rosti
Asparagus, Sweetheart Cabbage

and for the vegetarian:
Spicy Butternut Squash on a bed of
Puy Lentils with Quinoa

Act III
White Chocolate and Berry Cheescakes
with Berry Coulis and Chantilly Cream

Encore
Coffee
Maple and Pecan Shortbread
Viennese Biscuits

All was accompanied by good conversation, plenty of laughs and far too much wine!

Then, the entertainment.................

..................Dance Broadway on the Wii!!

Possibly not the best idea to jump around the lounge to "You Can't Stop the Beat" from Hairspray after five courses, but it was great fun.

After that, the whiteboards came out for the scoring and I got a respectable................

38/40!

Not bad considering one guest found a hair in her potato rosti.

Aaaaargh!!!






5 comments:

Lorraine The Party Times said...

should have videoed that wii game!! menu sounds impressive!

Kelloggsville said...

I was thinking the whole read "I'd like that, I'd love that" right until the hair LOL - I can't believe they told you though, I wouldn't have said a word! 38/40 is a great score - well done.

Fran said...

Sounds fabulous. And what a good idea. That's without the rosti hair moments, of course!

Sarah said...

I don't know where you get the energy! Sounds like a fab evening. Your friends are lucky people. Will they be reciprocating?

Working Mum said...

Sarah - yes, we're three couples and we've done two meals now, just one couple left to do theirs. I can sit back and relax now!