Sunday, 1 April 2012

Bridgewater and Blue Peter

Finally made it to the Easter Hols after a truly manic term. So much to catch up on, but hopefully I'll get round to blogging about recent events in the next few days.

Firstly, I'll start with yesterday.

As parent in charge of daughter's cultural education I had booked tickets to take her to the Bridgewater Hall for a concert for the Olympics by the wonderful BBC Philharmonic Orchestra.

She didn't want to go.

After a very busy term she just wanted to stay in her room and play with her horses and who can blame her? I felt a bit the same myself.

Anyway, after much pursuasion and bribery (I agreed to buy her some flip flops which she'd been mithering for for ages) she came into Manchester with me.

When we got to the Bridgewater Hall everything changed.

It turned out that the concert was being recorded for Blue Peter and the presenter of the concert was none other than Izzy's favourite CBBC and Blue Peter presenter, Barney Harwood!

She was beside herself with excitement!

The concert was fantastic and just perfect for children; an hour and a quarter with no interval and a great mix of music including Also Sprach Zarathustra (or "2001 A Space Odyssey" as I had to describe it to hubby), Chariots of Fire, various sporting TV themes (Grandstand took me back!) and even Titanium by David Guetta.

After the concert we were waiting by the craft tables when I spotted Barney himself who'd come out to meet the audience. I passed Izzy our programme and said to her:

"There's Barney, go and ask him to sign your programme"

"Can I?" she asked, wide eyed with excitement.

"Course you can"

Barney was really lovely with the children and had a little chat with them before signing autographs. He even wrote "So nice to meet you!" on her programme.

As we left the hall Izzy said to me

"Did I dream that, or did I just meet Barney Harwood?"

A good outcome I think!

8 comments:

Jen said...

Aww, that's lovely! Glad she had fun (in the end!)

Polly said...

A wonderful outcome. Im glad it was a lovely concert.

Maggie May said...

That was well worth Izzy's effort to come out with you!
Isn't is awful how they go through these phases of not wanting to come out? Usually its because of some screen or other.
Enjoy your holidays
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Lorraine The Party Times said...

what a great day and a perfect start to the Easter hols x

Claire said...

Sounds like you both had a wonderful time! WASO (West Australian Symphony Orchestra) do a similar programme of event eat year for kids, eldest son and I are off to see A Tribute to John Williams featuring Star Wars, Indiana Jones, ET etc etc music in May and then on Halloween we're seeing Witches, Wizards and WASO with a selection of creepy music. Can't wait!

libby said...

What a happy bit of luck!

Working Mum said...

Claire - your concerts sound great. The Halle Orchestra do a few family concerts each year and I've taken Izzy to them since she was a baby. I'm looking out for the next one.

Crystal Jigsaw said...

It'll be a day she's remember for ever, how lovely.

CJ x