Thursday, 8 March 2012

The Manchester Chorale - keeping Working Mum sane?

As I say on my side bar, singing in the Manchester Chorale keeps me sane.


That's me, second row, second from the left.

I've been a member for 19 years and, although there have been ups and downs, I've always loved the fact that for two hours a week I can go and lose myself in singing. It's great to be taught rather than teach for two hours and it keeps me in touch with how my pupils must feel when they can't get something right.

There are pieces I love singing and pieces I hate (curse you, Benjamin Britten!) but I love the whole kit and caboodle of being in a choir, singing with fabulous orchestras in fantastic venues and having something that is just for me.

However, keeping me sane this year it is not!

With radio broadcasts (BBC Radio 2, 3 and 4), a CD recording, four performances with the Black Dyke Band all over the country of a piece written for the Olympics, a concert roughly every two weeks from Jan to July and two days rehearsing a new Karl Jenkins piece for a concert in May conducted by the man himself (click here to book tickets) I'm run off my feet!

2012 is proving to be our busiest year for a long time.

On Saturday we have a workshop day to learn the Jenkins and I've been asked to provide cakes for afternoon tea.

Now I'm even baking for the Chorale!


4 comments:

Maggie May said...

You all look very smart and I'm sure that you sing as well as you look!

I think it gives us a feeling of belonging to the greater scheme of things..... well thats how it affects me anyway.
Because our choir has over 300 members..... it means we don't feel obliged to do all the concerts and I just pick out the ones I really want to do, knowing that there are always plenty of people who will support every concerts etc.
Cooking for them? No...... I draw the line at that!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Sarah said...

Wow, that is BUSY!

I used to belong to a chorale too, but it all got too much.

Suburbia said...

Don't know how you fit it all in!

ADDY said...

Blimmin' heck. You ARE a glutton for punishment.