Wednesday, 8 February 2012

Come Dine with Me

Last Summer I knew it was time to get back to work when I got hooked on "Come Dine with Me" and watched five episodes in a row!

If you haven't seen it, the basic idea is that 4 or 5 people are put together to host a dinner party each for the others on 4 or 5 consecutive nights. At the end of each night the guests score the host out of 10 on the evening - food, entertainment, ambience, etc are all taken into account. At the end of the week, the person with the highest score wins £1000.

Before Christmas one of my friends, Emily, suggested we do our own "Come Dine with Me": three couples, three evenings, but no £1000 (unless one of us wins the lottery in the meantime).

"Great!" I said, looking forward to good food and some entertaining evenings and all the ensuing jocularity of judging each other's pastry.

"Great!" said the other friend, Eloise, who we later found out had never seen the programme and thought she was just signing up for three sophisticated dinner parties. I fear Emily and I are about to go down in Eloise's estimations!

Well, last month we did the first evening.

Emily made:


Mushroom, Brown Ale and Lentil Soup
with Crusty Bread Rolls


Salmon Caloubiac
with new potatoes and vegetables


Homemade Berry Ice Cream
in a Tuile Basket
with Berry Coulis


It was a wonderful meal and we played some very amusing games.

After the meal and entertainment we did the scores
(on the little "Show Me" whiteboards I had borrowed from school especially for the purpose; Eloise was horrified!)

Emily got 36/40

The standard has been set!

It's my turn next.

14 April is the date.

Help!

7 comments:

Sandy Calico said...

What a brilliant idea. Good luck!

Kelloggsville said...

I think it would be hard to do this with friends. I would have to score kindly. Can you imagine saying 'well that was rubbish'? For this reason the first one up is going to get a good score and a fab one if they do a good show. I think you'll struggle to meet it no matter what you do. Good luck. X

Polly said...

I think its such a fabulous idea, we love Come Dine with Me in our house. Can't wait to hear how your evening goes.

ADDY said...

Knowing your culinary skills, I am sure you will be fine. In fact, where's my inviation?

Crystal Jigsaw said...

You'll walk it!! I doubt I'd scrape a 5/40 if I were taking part - I've cooked for my family but never hosted a full-on dinner party!

CJ x

Catharine Withenay said...

Oooh! Good luck! I'm sure your meal will be wonderful!

Suburbia said...

You've only got yourself to blame!!

Good luck