Sunday, 2 October 2011

Move over Freddie!

Another busy week in the Working Mum house.

Luckily, daughter's class teacher has been off ill this week. Well, not luckily for the teacher, I hope she is better soon, but it did mean a reduction in homework this week and we've done lots of other stuff instead.

The first thing I did was to become

"Best Mummy in the World, Ever!"

How?

Well, my daughter loves Lauren Child books and has ambitions to be an author herself, so when I saw that a local bookshop was holding the launch of Lauren's latest book "Look into my eyes" (about Ruby Redfort; Clarice Bean's favourite character) with food, a talk from Lauren and a signed copy of the book, I got straight on the phone and booked daughter and me a place.

Daughter was so pleased she could hardly speak!

Then she said,

"Shoot me if I'm not already dead!"

I think that meant she was happy!

She also wants to enter the Ruby Redfort Code Creator Contest that accompanies the launch of the book so I've been teaching her about different types of ciphers and she's been leaving coded messages for me all over the house!

Music has figured highly this week as daughter passed her audition for a local choir and has continued to show enthusiasm for learning the piano. On Thursday she asked me could she play "Bohemian Rhapsody". No, not after two lesson sweetheart. But then I got the sheet music for Bohemian Rhapsody and I played the "bummmmm, dum, dum, dum" bit while daughter played the "tink, tink" bit. (You know what I mean, just hum the intro to yourself.) We could hardly play for falling about laughing!!

Then, this weekend I have been preparing for a cupcake demonstration I'm doing tomorrow for some Duke of Edinburgh Award pupils at school. I decided to go for a Halloween theme, so daughter and I have been busy making all kinds of cake decorations:




So now I think it's about time to sit down with a cup of tea and catch up on "Strictly", another favourite of daughter's and mine.

So much better than homework.......................

8 comments:

lynze said...

Sounds like you have another musical genius in your family!
It's so interesting to read about the time you share with Izzy...you do so many lovely things together. My daughter is 3 in a couple of weeks and your posts inspire me with ideas to do with my own daughter.

Working Mum said...

Lynze - thank you for your lovely comment. I'm so glad you are inspired to do things with your daughter; I won't tell you about how Izzy was in big trouble today for stealing a raspberry from the kitchen and dropping it and squashing it into my beige hall carpet, it might spoil the illusion!

Lorraine The Party Times said...

these look great - don't forget to enter the pics over at the party times - "cake of the month"
sounds like a great weekend was had by all - good for you!

Expat mum said...

Goodness. Dead impressed with those cakes! I have bakers'-envy!

Crystal Jigsaw said...

What a lovely positive and uplifting post. I'm a pianist so I love to hear about children who are taking to it. Amy plays, mostly by ear, but she's very good.

Those cakes look scrummy. Shame I can't reach into the monitor and grab one!

CJ xx

Julie-Ann Murphy said...

Wow - well done on the cupcakes - they look fab, very impressive. Sounds like the lack of homework has allowed for lots of other additional fun stuff. Worthy as it is, the school work does take up so much time. You'll be hopiong the teacher doesn't get well too soon!

Maggie May said...

Can't beat *Strictly* can you?

Those cakes look delicious and you do know that you spoil your daughter something wicked? But..... what mother/grannie doesn't?
Maggie X

Nuts in May

angelsandurchinsblog said...

That is so cool! I would truly absolutely big time like to meet Lauren Childs. Lucky you!