Monday, 19 September 2011

The Mystery of the Repelling Cakes

Yesterday, as per the tradition in my department, I made cakes for my birthday to take into work for my colleagues. This year I decided to make two types - chocolate brownie cakes with chocolate cream topping and red velvet cakes with cream cheese topping.

Now, the chocolate brownie cakes I have made before and the chocolate cream topping I had made before, but I thought I would have a go at chocolate transfers. I perused a few designs and then saw the perfect one for a maths department - Curves of Pursuit!! (Yes, I know, only a mathematician would get excited over curve of pursuit transfers). I melted dark chocolate and spread it over the transfer, then, after it had cooled, I cut out circles with a cutter and peeled them off the transfer to reveal perfect decorations:


Then came the red velvet cakes which I hadn't made before. It seemed a standard recipe with buttermilk and white wine vinegar, but I used gluten-free flour since a member of my department is gluten intolerant.

Now here's the mystery.

They looked beautiful when they came out of the oven.

They tasted light, fluffy and velvety (well, I had to try one to make sure!).

But then, as they cooled, the cakes came away from the cake cases!

Now these were Squires Kitchen top quality cake cases which I always use because they never, ever lose their colour. So was it the buttermilk, the vinegar or the gluten free flour? If anyone can tell me why they came away from the cases, and how to avoid it in future, please let me know.

Luckily, I managed to salvage a few:

12 comments:

Suburbia said...

They all look delicious!

Claire said...

Personally I think that the cakes repelled the cases because the red of the cakes and the red of the cases clashed! ;-)

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Well they look flippin' fabulous!! What a shame some came away from the cases but the ones you've shown here are gorgeous. I really must do some baking soon!

CJ xx

ADDY said...

My Dad would be able to answer your question if he were still alive. Sadly I don't know. I wish I worked in your Maths department. Those brownie cakes would be gone in nanoseconds.

Lorraine The Party Times said...

making me hungry looking at these!!

Maggie May said...

My daughter is Coeliac and I know from experience that cooking with gluten free flour is not easy. It is very hit and miss. perhaps that is the problem.
They do look divine though.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Polly said...

Yum they look fabulous, I hope they went down a treat too.

family Affairs said...

Happy birthday - did you really make those?? Fantastic x

gigi said...

I make Red Velvet all the time and it always comes out great. Has to be the flour!

Mrs Average said...

I know I'm starting to look pushy, but I have to ask, just once more..... do you post?

Working Mum said...

Maggie and Gigi - thank you. I think between you you have solved my problem. I'll try the cakes with normal flour next time and make something else gluten free.

Lizzie said...

I had this problem with my wedding cupcakes. Strangely, the chocolate ones were more prone to 'case separation' than the vanilla. I used standard self raising flour in an all in one recipe. In the end i decided that I was very slightly overcooking them, so it was all down to precise timing in the end, and it seemed to solve it!!