Sunday, 28 August 2011

Cease and Desist

It appears that a blogger has been copying and using content from several blogs and passing it off as her own, including content from this blog.

"Thinking" has now been found out and this evening she has made her blog invitation only. She should do the decent thing, shut her blog down and learn from her mistakes.

Having made her blog 'invitation only' I cannot contact her to tell her to cease and desist, thus I am publishing the following letter for "Thnking":


Dear Sir or Madam,

You are using a work that I own the copyright of. The name of the work involved is “Conversations with a four year old - the one about being late” and "Anything you can do............." from "Workingmumonverge.blogspot.com". It appears on a site operated by you at http://thinking-lifeandyou.blogspot.com. I have reserved all rights to this work, which was first published on http://workingmumonverge.blogspot.com/2009/03/conversations-with-four-year-old-one_14.html and http://workingmumonverge.blogspot.com/2009/03/anything-you-can-do.html in 2009.

Your copying and or use of my work, which appear at the link above, is unauthorized. You neither asked for nor received permission to use the piece nor to make or distribute copies of them in the manner you have. Furthermore, you have taken credit for my work and caused confusion as to whom the original author of the work is. Therefore, I believe you have willfully infringed my rights under 17 USC §101, et seq. and could be liable for statutory damages as high as $100,000. Further, such copyright infringement is a direct violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and International Copyright Law.

I demand that you immediately cease the use and distribution of the work and all copies of it, that you remove any further works you may have stolen and that you desist from this or any other infringement of my rights in the future. Furthermore, I demand that you post an apology on the site clarifying who the real author is and that you inform others that might have been misled by your misuse of the works’ origins.

If I have not received proof of compliance from you within 72 hours, I shall consider taking the full legal remedies available to rectify this situation including contacting my lawyer and/or your site’s administrators.

Sincerely

Carol Foster

aka Working Mum on the Verge


Update, 29 Aug 2011: Both of "Thinking"'s blogs have now been removed. I would like to thank Yellow Gal for alerting me to the plagiarism and to Fi from Four Paws and Whiskers and Crystal Jigsaw for their invaluable help.

20 comments:

Fi from Four Paws and Whiskers said...

Great - Crystal Jigsaw has been irate about this too - although on FB not her blog.... good letter

Lorraine said...

Good for you and I hope the others they've stolen work from follow suit. Even better, Blogger should shut down the site and any more blogs attempting to be started from that IP address denied. x

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Well done, Carol. Let's hope this very sad and unlawful individual reads this and my post that I will publish later today, then does the decent thing.

CJ xx

Maggie May said...

That is awful. Surely everyone knows there is copyright on all the work & photos that we bloggers use.
Surely there can't be any pride or pleasure in stealing other people's work.
I hope that things get very sticky for this person and that they are closed down forthwith.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Chris Longmuir said...

As no one seems to be able to access the site I wonder how many other blogs material has been stolen from.

Alcoholic Daze (ADDY) said...

Just seen Crystal's post on this subject too. Hope Thinking gets the message.

mammasaurus said...

So sad to hear about this ... how frustrating and angering for you all.

Why anyone would feel the need to do this is beyond me.

cherrycat said...

What a lazy sad individual who can't even write there own blog without stealing other peoples work.
What a coward changing the blog to invite only.
Can you contact the Blooger people and report it?

Lorraine The Party Times said...

go girl!!!

Kelloggsville said...

How on earth did you find out? I can't imagine I would ever know.

Fi from Four Paws and Whiskers said...

No one minds being quoted but being acknowledged as teh source... hopefully with a link back to the site is the correct way.... It annoys the hell out of me when students copy of the internet and pass the text off as their own words - and it is a disciplinary offence for them - they don't realise that google searches will show the "other" source if people are looking!

We may have all landed up using something incorrectly referenced- accidents happen - but we never pretend we wrote other peoples work or take credit for taking the photos.

Sarah said...

Dear Thinking,
You are not Thinking, you are Cheating and Plagiarising. Go write your own stuff, if you can! Saddo.

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Have you noticed both blogs have now been removed?

I call that a RESULT!

CJ xx

Working Mum said...

CJ - Yes, that is a result. I hope that she deleted them herself rather than waiting for Blogger to do it. It might show that she's finally realised that she did something wrong.

Kelloggsville - You can use Google to check if your content has been copied, and there are other ways (exam boards use plagiarism software to check students' work against the internet) but in this case I was alerted to it by another blogger who had 151 posts copied by "Thinking"!!

To all other commentors - thank you for your comments and show of support. Normal blog service will be resumed shortly!

Adventures of a Working Mum said...

Super letter and I'm glad the blogs have been deleted. Looking forward to normal service! x

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

Well, such excitement and skullduggery! The Blogging world is obviously open to corruption. I do wonder why anyone would want to copy someone else's work/life/experiences and claim them as their own though. Well done for your immediate response, which obviously had the desired effect. Mxx

Yellow Gal said...

I just received a formal notice from Blogger that the blog no longer exists. Looks like she deleted it herself after being inundated by all of our comments and notices!

family Affairs said...

BLIMEY - nobody's copying my stuff I don't think - but then again I don't blame them.....Lx

Lillian xxx said...

First heard about this on Crystal Jigsaw's blog and thought what a terrible and disgusting thing to do. I'm glad the blog has now been deleted and hope such a thing never happens again.

LatteMama said...

That is so bizarre. Why not just come up with own great things to write instead of just copying from known bloggers? Oh well, it's gone now. Love the blog btw :)