Saturday, 30 July 2011

I Want to Ride My Bicycle

As a mother I am a constant worrier about my daughter's health, weight, height, eating habits, fitness, etc, etc. I'm sure you know what I mean.

One thing I've noticed is that during term time my daughter puts on weight. Sitting in school all day and eating huge portions of unhealthy school puddings does her no good. (And yes, I know she does, because I work at the same school and sometimes I can catch her at lunchtime in the dining room feasting on a portion of syrup sponge and custard that would feed all three of us at home!) The school nurse has reassured me that children grow like Christmas trees, out then up, out then up, but I know that those puddings are a slippery slope!

So, at weekends and in the holidays I try to redress the balance. There is lots of healthy food and lots of exercise: games in the garden, walks, bike rides, trips to the park, swimming, etc.

Since I bought my new bike earlier this year I have been out cycling with her a lot as she seems to enjoy cycling more than anything else, but I fear I have overdone it.

Cycling to the shops, to the Water Park, along the Mersey, down the Bridgewater Canal, all over Center Parcs for a week and then Delamere Forest has been too much for her.

When I asked her to cycle to the Post Office with me this morning she said;

"Mummy, since you bought your bike I've had the tiredest legs in the world!"

Perhaps I should give the poor girl a break?

4 comments:

Alcoholic Daze (ADDY) said...

I wouldn't worry... kids slim down as they get older and in any case teenage peer pressure will make her watch what she eats. I should think the major problem is resisting your cupcakes!

Sarah said...

That's good because she's building up stamina. Tired legs equal happy ever healthier legs (and then nice shapely legs later).

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Awww, that made me laugh. Amy loves her bike but cycling up and down our hill is pretty tiring too. We're going to Center Parcs next week and I can't wait. We don't hire bikes though as Amy doesn't have much road sense.

CJ xx

scrappysue said...

aren't you meant to take a ferry across the mersey??? hehe - biking is cool!