Friday, 29 July 2011

Delamere Forest


This week we took advantage of the weather and took our bikes down to Delamere Forest for one of our Family Fun Days.

Delamere Forest is a place close to my heart. My parents used to take me and my brother there for walks and picnics and we used to get our Christmas tree there.

My grandparents use to pile 5 or 6 of us grandkids in the back of their car (you could do that in the 70s) and take us for walks and picnics.

When daughter was born it was a place we could go for a nice long walk with the pram and she first met Father Christmas there.

My brother proposed to his wife there and, as a wedding present from daughter, we bought them a tree there to remind them.

Now we take daughter for walks, picnics and bike rides. There are even open air concerts and a "Go Ape" aerial ropes adventure course now; never had that in my day!!

It's easy to get there by train (Delamere Station) or car (plenty of car parks) and the station cafe sells the most gorgeous Snugbury's Ice Cream ("White Mountain" and "Turkish Delight" are my favourites, not that I've had lots of Snugbury's ice cream, honest, I haven't)

So, if you want a nice family day out, pack a picnic and head to Delamere.

2 comments:

Alcoholic Daze (ADDY) said...

It's great to have a special place nearby that means so much to so many of the family.

Polly said...

It sounds just lovely, and so much sentiment makes it that little bit more special.