Sunday, 5 June 2011

Nearly Perfect Lemon Meringue Cupcakes

My favourite dessert by far is Lemon Meringue, so it makes sense that I would want to make Lemon Meringue cupcakes. I've made a few using different recipes, but never quite been happy with them. I can't quite master the meringue part - too crunchy, too gooey, not cooked through, etc.

Well, yesterday daughter and I went to a friend's for a barbecue and I was asked to provide cupcakes as my contribution. Perfect excuse to try out lemon meringue cupcakes with what I thought may be the answer to my problem, Italian meringue.

Here are the results:



Almost perfect.

The meringue was fabulous, just what I wanted. However, to make them perfect I think I need to make my own tangy lemon curd. But in the meantime here is the recipe for the nearly perfect cakes:

WM's Nearly Perfect Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
(makes about 18)

For the cakes
6 0z butter (room temp)
6 oz caster sugar
6 oz SF flour
3 medium eggs (room temp)
milk
zest of a lemon

For the filling
jar of good quality lemon curd

For the topping
3 egg whites
170g caster sugar
water
small silver balls

Heat oven to 160 deg C.
Put cupcake cases in muffin tins.
Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time beating until combined.
Add flour and a little milk until a light batter consistency.
Fold in lemon zest.
Put 1 tbsp of batter in each cake case and bake for approx 45 mins.
Cool on wire tray.

When cool, scoop out a teaspoon of cake from each one and fill with a teaspoon of lemon curd.

To make the meringue:
Beat the egg whites until soft peak stage.
Put sugar in pan and cover with water.
Heat gently until boiling.
Boil until syrup reaches soft ball stage (a small amount on a teaspoon dipped in cold water will form a soft ball when rolled between your fingers).
Then slowly add the sugar syrup to the egg whites whilst whisking on medium speed.
Turn up to high speed and whisk until bowl is cool.

You can now pipe the meringue on to the cakes and decorate with small silver balls.

The meringue does not need cooking since the sugar syrup sets the eggwhite, but I flashed them under the grill for 30 secs to brown just for aesthetic purposes.

3 comments:

Maggie May said...

Mmmmmmmmh! Yes..... very yummy looking.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Dianne x said...

They look lovely, I will definitely be trying these xx

Polly said...

Well they look pretty darn perfect to me.