Saturday, 7 May 2011

Time to bully off!

We've only been back at school for two weeks, okay seven working days, and I'm already drowning in a sea of marking. I have four exam classes who are all working through past exam papers at a great rate of knots and a quick turn around is necessary to give them useful feedback. Hence I have been busy every night at the kitchen table.

No TV, no computer, just exam papers, pots of tea and lots of chocolate.

Except on Thursday when I went back to school in the evening for information about daughter moving from infants to juniors in September.

Who knew she was going to need a dentist fitted mouthguard, fitted shin pads, long hockey socks, a gym skirt, cycling shorts, a micofibre suit and three, yes, three sports bags!!?

It seems the difference between year 2 and year 3 is the physical education. Dance, gymnastics, netball, hockey, swimming, athletics and tennis.

My worst nightmare!

Luckily my daughter has not yet realised her physical limitations (she hasn't cottoned on to the fact that she has inherited my sporting genes) and is quite looking forward to playing hockey.

Unfortunately she has now declared that she wants to play ice hockey and wants me to take her ice skating as well.

Help!


12 comments:

libby said...

I hear you on this one.....we spent a fortune on this sort of stuff when my son started and he only ever played hockey really...he also inherited my 'non sporting' gene, so we ended up donating most of every other kit as the terms went by....good luck!

Alcoholic Daze (ADDY) said...

This sounds so familiar!! Kay fell in love with ice skating and we ended up having to go regularly. It turns out her teacher (Diane Towler) was the Olympic champion just before Torvill and Dean took off. Kay also had a lot of sports paraphenalia for school including the dreaded mouthguard! Try and find some time to rest or you'll be frazzled by July.

Working Mum said...

Libby - I'm hoping to get some of the stuff from the school's second hand uniform sale because I'm sure it won't be worn out!

Addy - Wow! Is Kay really good at it then? I don't think I can add ice skating onto swimming, riding, choir and Brownies - there's only so much a little girl can do!

The wife of bold said...

Oh no that sounds like my worst nightmare! I have no coordination or balance and absoloutely HATED hockey at school - poor you! Alough it's great that she's enjoying sports!!

Maggie May said...

Oh dear...... probably ice skating will be expensive!

I related so well to your comment over at mine..... I have had similar problems and was hoping for a change of voting system but we never got what we were promised, did we?
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Lorraine from The Party Times said...

Gosh that sounds expensive!!

claire said...

I'm confused about the three sports bags, does this imply that she'll be doing three separate sports on any given day?

Have to say that I think the school is taking the mickey!!!!

Btw - don't know about you but I can remember playing hockey at senior school till I was 14 with no shin pads or any other safety device, but we was tough back then!!! :-)

Polly said...

That is some list, Wow your little girl must be exhausted at the end of the day with all that.

Working Mum said...

Wife of Bold - I hated hockey, too! All I remember is standing on a freezing cold pitch in a tiny gym skirt with red raw legs!

Maggie - I think ice skating might be an occasional treat, not a weekly commitment - can't do everything!

Lorraine - good job I only have one child, then!

Claire - the three bags are rucksack for swimming, drawstring for PE and a holdall for Games. Of course, they have to be the "school" bags so every child has the same one and takes the wrong one from the bag rack by mistake! I'm rebelling and sending her with a pink Barbie rucksack for swimming!

Polly - that could solve some other problems, like her not going to sleep when put to bed!

Alcoholic Daze (ADDY) said...

Don't believe it - at one time Kay had a hobby nearly every evening - Piano, Brownies,St John's Ambulance, swimming, and skating or horseriding on Saturdays! But then she got older and homework took over!

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Goodness, all sounds very ambitious! Your daughter is obviously really into the activities which can only be a good thing. I'd like Amy to be more involved next school year and I'll be encouraging it. Glad I don't have to do the marking though!

CJ xx

Kirsty72 said...

Sympathise with the marking I'm in the same boat...it's hard to complain when they are working so hard, sometimes I wish they weren't so motivated! Never mind it will get easier soon....haven't had daughter's meeting about year 2into 3 yet so am hoping the school aren't doing quite so many activities!