Sunday, 3 April 2011

Mother's Day Cupcakes

It worked.

Lowering my expectations, that is.

I had a quite nice day.

Breakfast in bed.
(No croissants or muffins, but a round of toast and marmelade and a cup of tea)

A homemade picture daughter had done at Rainbows, a bouquet of paper flowers she'd made at school and a Hotel Chocolat "All about Mum Collection" which husband had ordered on t'internet (I'd circled it in the Hotel Chocolat brochure just to make sure).

Of course, I spent the day hoovering, cleaning, ironing and standing in the rain at daughter's riding lesson, but inbetween I thought I would make some cakes for our weekly Sunday afternoon tea.

Now, it is traditional to make Simnel Cake on Mother's Day. In olden days, on Refreshment Sunday, maids were allowed to make a Simnel Cake in the kitchens and take it to their mothers, hence why Refreshment Sunday became Mothering Sunday. However, I didn't want a big heavy fruit cake, so I saw this recipe for Simnel Muffins and thought, "Perfect"!

What do you think?



12 comments:

Helen Conway said...

I think I need the receipe please!

Working Mum said...

Just click on the link, Helen. They're really very easy and sooo tasty with the layer of marzipan. Be careful not to OD!

Kelloggsville said...

I think they look lovely. I made a banana loaf being completely unaware of Refreshment Sunday!!!

Lorraine from The Party Times said...

Cakes look wonderful. Glad you had a good day - similar day here running son around to football then to a party but had a lovely start to the day and got taken out to lunch - now ironing!! Happy Days!

BNM said...

I think you need to come and cook for me - they look lovely (as all your cakes do!)
Glad you had a nice day

BNM

Catharine Withenay said...

The muffins look lovely! So delighted you had a good day. I think it is more special for being loved than for being a fancy day 'doing things'. And it is hard to beat breakfast in bed, however it is done.

Polly said...

They look delicious and I love your patty cases too.

Ladybird World Mother said...

Yum. I know what you mean about lowering the expectations!! I had a good day... was told to lay off all cooking which was fab. Encouraged to garden (whooppeeeee. Not) so that would have 'lots of fresh air'. Mmm. But a good day. If ONLY had had one of your cakes. Oh, well, will just look and drool. xx

scrappysue said...

so glad your day worked out the way you wanted it! recipe for those cupcakes - any chance???

Claire said...

Glad you had a better day than last year!!!

Alcoholic Daze (ADDY) said...

Wow - they look fabulous - but shouldn't you have been relaxing?

Working Mum said...

scrappysue - just click on the link in the post and it'll take you to the recipe

Addy - baking is relaxing!