Saturday, 5 March 2011

Under Pressure

On Monday on BBC2, a fellow working mum, Sophie Raworth, is presenting a documentary entitled "Parents Under Pressure" exploring some of the reasons why, in a UNICEF survey, Britain's children come bottom in a table of 21 developed countries for well being.

What interests me, as a permanently guilty working mum, is how to avoid this depressing statistic.

An American scheme, Families and Schools Together, featured in the programme, give a few pointers such as
  • eat together as a family once a week
  • give your children 15 minutes of undivided attention each day
  • pick your children up from school at least once a week
  • teach your children to cook
(Is is me or are those things that our parents did with us?)

Well, I manage all of those, but I want to add a couple of my own:
  • firstly, play games together - see The Happy Puzzle Company for ideas - families that play together stay together! (Of course, you have to not mind when your six year old starts giving you tips on tactics when playing Uno!)
  • secondly, get outside together every weekend: walking, bike riding (on my new bike!), welly wanging, etc (and amuse your neighbours in the process!)
  • thirdly, once a week, put on a Queen song and sing and dance your hearts out (air guitar optional)!
Altogether now..........

"Under Pressure - dum dum dum diddy dum dum"

9 comments:

Polly said...

I love what you have added. We regularly sing and dance like crazy people in our house!

cheshire wife said...

Congratulations! In case you do not know, you have a mention in the Weekend section of today's Times newspaper.

Working Mum said...

Polly - glad to hear it, so good for the soul!

Cheshire Wife - thank you. One of my readers told me this morning; I'm in a bit of a state of shock - I thought I was decidedly small fry in the blogosphere!

Maggie May said...

I think that sounds fantastic.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

becomingkate said...

All great ideas. We try to do stuff as much as possible, with most of us working.
Have a good weekend!

Ladybird World Mother said...

Oh fab... esp. your additions. Might just add that a good belly laugh is absolutely essential all round. Congrats on you mention in the Times!! xx

Suburbia said...

Yes, we do that too but the guilt always remains that there is never enough time....

WorkingLondonMummy said...

Love this post. Especially the Queen song. My daughter has been hearing me sing along to Bohemian Rhapsody since before she was born and it was a great dance during the colic days...!

Catharine Withenay said...

I agree about the games - we love playing games together. Personally I think eating together around a table is one of the best: you have to focus just on each other, not TV/computer/radio, and you have time to talk, listen and share. And I agree with LWM - laughing together is great therapy!