Sunday, 13 February 2011

Riding along on my pushbike, honey

Haven't posted for a while. Bit busy. Bit stressed. Bit down.

Everyday there seems to be more bad news.

Both personally and nationally.

And this recession feels more like a depression.

Taxes going up, prices going up, and the latest blow - the Government have declared that from next year they are going to take an extra £1000 a year out of my salary for my pension.

I need a new car.

We have decided that we cannot holiday abroad this year.

I know people will say I'm lucky, I've got a job, I can still have a holiday, I don't have to worry about paying bills, I can still afford a decent lifestyle, but here's the thing:

I've worked hard to get qualifications, I work hard at my job, I have spent 20 years living within my means and now it feels like I'm being financially punished for the excesses of others.

I've done nothing wrong!!

I can't change it. I just have to lump it.

The only thing to do now is to stop moaning about it.

And I promise I will.

Stop, that is.

And with expert timing, my dad has decided to cheer us all up!

He has suddenly decided he wants to treat us all.

He said he wants to buy us all something we want, but won't buy for ourselves.

Clever dad.

He knows that if he gave us each some money it would go on food, petrol and clothes.

He will only get us something we won't buy ourselves so that it will be a real treat.

So I'm getting.............

........... a new bicycle!!

My old one was on its last legs (or wheels!) so I got rid of it when we moved house. I said that I would get a new one when daughter had learned to ride so we can all go cycling together, but haven't got round to buying one yet.

So, I'll be off to the local cycle shop soon to get my new wheels.

When I told daughter I was getting a new bicycle she thought for a minute, and then said,

"Will you need stabilisers?"

16 comments:

Jen said...

I do know what you mean, we always borrowed what we could afford, didn't use money from the house to go on expensive holidays etc and it seems our reward is to lose child benefit, watch energy and food prices soar and watch the free tertiary education we received not just eradicated but turned into £9K a year for our kids.

Yay on the bike though! We are still planning to go to France for hols this summer, but we drive now, which makes it much more affordable. We need SOMETHING to look forward to!

Kelloggsville said...

Think you're feeling squeezed now, wait 'til April (apparently!). At least you'll be about to do exactly what (was it Thatcher or Tebbit?) said and get on your bike to go look for work! Actually that's how I ended up in the Midlands my Grandad cycled from Stockport south, he stopped when he finally found work in Leicester. I reckon we are all going to need a bit of stablising in this current madness!

libby said...

I think most of us know how you feel...but Good old Dad for wanting to do something so lovely for you all!
ps.I'm getting a bike in the spring too!

Studentmum said...

Sorry to add to the 'know how you feel' but I do. We also live within our means, don't have more than on credit card & pay that of every month, and now we are beginning to moniter our petrol consumption, cut back on our supermarket shop & wonder how on earth our daughters are going to get to , let alone afford to go to Uni. Difficult times.

Enjoy the bike - excercise is good for the soul too.

Maggie May said...

Come on, cheer up. Things could be worse.
You have your health and family. Those are the important things.
I swear I'm different since my brush with death.

That bike sounds great. Something to look forward to.
Maggie X (Pulling our belts in too!)

Nuts in May

Mummy Cow said...

Added to all this - the longest Spring term we've had for ages. Exhaustion doesn't help. Hopefully, you'll have enough energy left to enjoy your bike at half term. With or without stabilisers...
MCx

Saz said...

...pushbike song yeah...mungo jerry? right


saz x

auntiegwen said...

That did make me smile, I hope you get a ice basket for your dolly and streamers for your handlebars as well :) chin up sweetie, the sun is shining and there is always gin xx

Polly said...

Times are tough, I know. It seems everywhere in the world those of us that work hard and are sensible with our money are the ones who are penalised.

Im so glad to hear of your bike though, a perfect gift!

Sarah said...

Feeling the pinch over here too, and won't be going abroad (to the UK) this year on hols either. It'll be a stay-at-home summer this year.

Taxes up, pay freeze for 2 years etc etc, petrol sky high, I think many people are feeling sorely pinched.

We're in it together at least!

Catharine Withenay said...

I'm with you entirely. Why the errors of a few (by no means all!) bankers should leave them with jobs, with hefty salaries and with unbelievable bonuses whilst we are penny-pinching is nigh on incomprehensible.

Still, I am grateful for what I have got: house, family, food on table.

Hope the bike helps take you away from all the stresses!

Suburbia said...

Think we are all feeling a bit hard done by right now. All we can do is just wait for the better times to come along, they will but goodness knows when!

Working Mum said...

Thank you for all the comments. Now I know I'm not alone in the way I feel and that makes me feel a bit better. And I shall count my blessings from now on!

gigi said...

Oh, she is a cleaver thing, "stabilisers" ha!
Wonderful Dad and great idea about the bike. Enjoy!

Sass said...

I feel your pain! A new bike is a lovely thing. Lucky you.

claire millington said...

'living within your means' I know how that feels, seems no good deed goes unpunished and the behaviour that got the country into this mess - loading on public and private debt and to hell with risk - is still well rewarded. Well it is if you're a an investment w.