Thursday, 27 January 2011

Flash, bang, wallop!

Remember these?



Last year I made a load of these Valentine Cupcakes and sold them in our staff room in aid of the Haiti Disaster Fund.

Well, our Head of Food Technology hadn't forgotten and a couple of weeks ago she asked me if I would do a Valentine Cupcake Demonstration for the Year 11 Home Economics pupils.

They've been working hard on their GCSE assessments and she thought it would be nice for them to have a lesson that was a bit different.

I thought it would make a change too, so I agreed.

So over the last couple of weeks I've been busy making demonstration cakes, cakes for pupils to decorate, heart decorations and a handout of recipes and information.

The demonstration is tomorrow, so tonight I made the buttercream.

Or rather, I tried.

I put the butter and icing sugar in the mixer bowl.

I turned it on.

I thought it sounded a bit different.....

Then.................

............. a flash, a bang, some smoke and all the sockets in the kitchen blew!

My mixer is no more!

Aaargh!


11 comments:

Jen said...

Oh no! Can you borrow one? Or do you need to get beating hard with a wooden spoon?

Working Mum said...

Jen - after the shock, I finished it off by hand, but it's nowhere near fluffy enough!

Maggie May said...

Oh dear..... I expect it is overuse! Hope you can send someone out to get another one quickly.
Your cakes are fabulous. Lets hope the students turn out some lovely creations too.
Maggie x

Nuts in May

Alcoholic Daze (ADDY) said...

In our household we used to say that "the evil genie has been at it again". If something is going to go wrong it always happens at the worst moment.

Polly said...

Ahhhhh oh no, my worst nightmare.

Lorraine The Party Times said...

Oh nooooooooooo! Pic looks fab though - divine cakes x

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Argh indeed!! I couldn't attempt to make anything so clever, I'm useless at baking.

CJ xx

mater familias said...

Do you need to shop for a new mixer? And do you think that should be an adult, no-children expedition? And do you need the company of a friend to help you choose . . . ?!

Suburbia said...

My toaster caught fire this week!
Fab cakes, hope it all goes well
:-)

Working Mum said...

Maggie - they certainly made interesting cakes!

Mater Familias - I've already ordered a new one on-line, but I never pass up the chance of an adult shopping trip!

Suburbia- At least I didn't have fire to contend with!

KLo said...

That's horrible :(

On a positive note, it does make for a good story ... you've got to find them where you can, right? At least, that's my philosophy : )