Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Feeling Guilty

I'm feeling like the worst mother in the world at the moment.

Last week daughter complained of a sore throat and, given that she is very rarely ill and has never had a day off school, I dismissed it as "You're just getting a cold and not used to it" and ignored her.

On Thursday night she kept getting up and coming into our room complaining of a sore throat, headache, feeling sick, etc. I checked her temperature (normal) gave her Calpol and sent her back to bed. On Friday I still planned on taking her to school, but after she threw up her breakfast I gave in and kept her off school.

On Saturday I started with the same symptoms.

We've both now got what our GP called "a nasty throat infection".

Nasty!?

I can see now why she didn't eat for three days - you can't!

My throat is so sore I can't speak; I've got earache, headache and feel nauseous.

I feel so bad for not believing her.

And for trying to make her eat toast.

I should have known she was ill when she turned down a pony riding party she'd been invited to on Saturday.

Daughter and I have spent the last four days under a duvet on the sofa watching Indiana Jones movies and trying to eat ice cream to ease the pain.

Husband has excelled himself with filling the last four days with football and today he's going straight from work to City's match.

Sometimes I wonder who there is to look after me.

At least he didn't complain there was no dinner for him when he came home from work at 8pm last night.

If there was, he would have been wearing it!

13 comments:

Alcoholic Daze (ADDY) said...

Naughty mummy! Go write one hundred lines "I must be a more sympathetic mummy!". It's easily done, though. A work colleague of mine once told me that she made her daughter go to school, even though she complained of a "tummyache", only to get a phone call from the school later in the day teling her that they had called an ambulance and she was in casualty with appendicitis!

Alcoholic Daze (ADDY) said...

Forgot to add, get well soon, both of you!

Working Mum said...

Addy - I will! It was her turning down ponies and food that made me realise it must be bad!

Carrie said...

This tale sounds all too familiar! I always need a lot of persuasion before I'm convinced my kids are ill. Hope you're feeling better now!

Expat mum said...

Get well soon. If it's any consolation, when one of mine was 1, what I thought was baby food in his ears (he was always smearing it everywhere) turned out to be puss from perforated ear drums! I am still waking up weeping at that one and he's 15!

Catharine Withenay said...

Hope you both get well soon. What a miserable time for you both! (Apart from the ice-cream, of course!)

Kelloggsville said...

If you'd have been sympathetic it would have turned out to be nothing - Murphy's law - don't worry we've all done it at some point and she'll remember and remind you of it, usually in front of friends and relatives or worse her friends mums!!! Hope you both feel better soon and hope hubby doesn't catch it too, you know that will be a nightmare for you!!!

Maggie May said...

Well it is better than molly coddling her every time she sneezes!
At least you'll know now when she says she is ill she really IS ill.Unlike some who whinge at every finger ache.
Hoping you are both feeling much better soon. Don't feel guilty! No need.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Sarah said...

Oops, well we all do it. I systematically never believe my boys when they complain of feeling off until they are sent home from school, unless they don't wake up at all or wake up with a raging fever (or one arm).

Sounds like you've got being poorly sussed though, apart from having no one to look after you. I don't either, but then that's normal being a single mother!

Get well soon, and don't forget, next time your dear husband is ill...

Helen Conway said...

Ooh poor you - both of you. Get well soon. I hope your ice cream is top quality!

Mummy Cow said...

Poor you! I am far worse though. Jen has been complaining of being dizzy and claimed to have fainted. Being my mother's daughter (mantra: you'll feel better when you get to school) I refused to believe this was anything other than dramatic tendencies - until the colour drained out of her face and she fainted in front me. Now waiting the results of a second lot of blood tests and recovering from a 'polite' telling off by the doctor. Oops. Is it the teacher in us? Keep telling yourself it's character building!
MCx

libby said...

Poor you.....but it is easily done...finding the balance between mollycoddling and being strict...feel better both.

scrappysue said...

kinda reminds me of the time when miss 21 (then 6) said she had a sore arm, and after 5 days i took her to the doctor - it was BROKEN!!!!!