Thursday, 23 December 2010

Fingers crossed!

I preface this post with the plea: "don't judge me".

The plan for Christmas is that we have MIL one year, husband's sister has her the next, etc. This year it's SIL's turn. It is very much her turn. I can't have my Christmas spoiled again by complaints, tears and negative comments. It's the first Christmas in years that I've been well and I really want to enjoy it. My parents are coming and they are much more fun. There's plenty of Christmas cheer, silly games and laughter when they are around. I am so looking forward to a fun-filled Christmas. (And they help with the cooking and the dishes!)

However, SIL lives over the Pennines and there's been a bit of snow around here lately.

MIL says she won't drive over there.

Fair enough, so BIL is coming to get her on Christmas Eve.

MIL says they're are snowed in and can't come and get her.

They were at City's match in Manchester on Monday night so not snowed in then!

MIL says all roads over the Pennines are closed.

The Highways Agency says they aren't (I know, I've checked!)

MIL says she won't go because she doesn't want to get stuck there and not be able to get back to look after her house.

We've promised to check on the house.

MIL said that if she had somewhere else to go she would phone SIL and say she's not coming.

I have instructed husband not to invite her here thus giving her a get-out clause.

(Of course, we would have her if she truly couldn't get over there; I wouldn't leave her alone at Christmas, but while there's a chance she can go somewhere else.............)


Tomorrow is D-day.

BIL is still on schedule to pick her up.

Keep your fingers crossed!

8 comments:

Perfectly Happy Mum said...

Everything is crossed for you :) have a great one!

Alcoholic Daze (ADDY) said...

Do let us know what happens!!!! Meanwhile hereis wishing you a HAPPY christmas!

Suburbia said...

Oh I know where you are coming from! Judge I will not, just keep everything crossed for you! Good luck and (hopefully) Merry Christmas to you all :-)

Claire said...

I will judge you.

I will judge you very harshly if you cave in and invite her without EVERY avenue of possibility explored.

I'm rooting for you to have a very happy, warm and loving Christmas with your family and no upsets.

Have a good one C x

gigi said...

★Merry★* 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★Christmas★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門| ˚From our home to yours!! May God Bless You and Your's in the coming New Year!

Polly said...

All fingers and toes crossed that she was able to get there.

scrappysue said...

well, reading ahead, you got her off to yorkshire and you really did enjoy a fun filled christmas! i must say, i'm getting little tired of the 'just you waits' from my parents. apparently upset stomachs and sleepless nights await us in our dotage. so negative - it brings me down!

Muddling Along Mummy said...

Definitely not judging and glad you got her to go (and even better sorted out the emergency so she will go again)

Happy Christmas!