Sunday, 12 December 2010

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire....

Okay, not roasting, but chopped up and made into Chocolate Chestnut Cupcakes. But more of those later.

Life has been typically busy in the Working Mum household, but this Winter there's one big difference ................

.................................... I'm not ill!!!!!!!!

I'm not pumped up on paracetamol and existing on Soothers, Venos and Lemsip! A couple of weeks ago I was starting with a cold, but on the recommendation of one of my pupils, I tried Vick's First Defence. I swear, they have invented the cure for the common cold. Two days after starting with a cold it had gone!

Now I'm feeling full of energy and life and have been asking my colleagues "Is this how the end of term should feel?" I haven't felt this good at the end of term for years. Not only that, I've now lost over a stone in weight, I feel great!

So, armed with unseasonal energy, I've been a Christmas whirlwind. I've almost done my Christmas shopping (just hubby left to buy for), most of the presents are wrapped, half of them are delivered, cards done and posted (including one to Australia which I'm usually too late for), tree bought and decorated and I've been baking. Boy, have I been baking!

Not only did I make two dozen Christmas cupcakes for the School Christmas Fair, I've made another dozen and a half for daughter's school Christmas party, I've made three dozen Orange, Cranberry and Almond Mince Pies which are now in the freezer and today I made a new Christmas Cupcake.


Last year, following a Christmas Cupcake Course at Leah's Pantry, I made a variety of sponge cupcakes with icing decorations:


but this year I spotted this recipe for Chocolate Chestnut Cupcakes in Good Food Magazine and thought they would be a perfect sophisticated cupcake for Christmas. So today I made a dozen which I will take into work for my department who can be guinea pigs and tell me what they think. If they're a hit, I'll make some more for Christmas Eve.

Have to admit that to a chocoholic like myself they do look scrumptious:


Just one more week of school, three Christmas Concerts with choir and then I'm ready for the big day. Bring it on!

9 comments:

Maggie May said...

I have this feeling that you never sit down!
The cakes are fantastically professional looking.Too good to eat.
Glad you are feeling so well. I have been given a cough by my dear husband!!!!! However I feel OK. Hope it won't affect carol singing in the Candles by Candlelight Service. I love to sing my heart out in that, without the risk of a coughing attack!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Lorraine The Party Times said...

more beautiful cupcakes! Pleased to hear you have avoided the colds and bugs this Winter - long may it continue

Working Mum said...

Maggie - you are right, the only time I sit down is when I'm blogging! That Carols by Candlelight sounds just lovely, I'm doing a similar concert next week in Manchester Cathedral, hope you are well enough to sing, singing makes you feel great!

Lorraine - this was just attempt number one; I've already got some ideas how to improve them and then I may enter them in Party Times Cupcake of the Month competition. Watch this space!

Claire said...

Oooo I'm all excited now as that Aussie Card is coming to us!!! I have sent mine but I know that loads of other more organised people's cards haven't got through from Oz to Uk yet because of your snow! Hope yours arrives OK.

All ready for Christmas here - eldest son breaks up on Thursday for Summer/Christmas holidays - 6 weeks off and then goes back to Year 4. Youngest son starts Kindy in February, time is a-flying!

Hope your cakes do well at the various destinations they are bound for, any chance of sending some out here?!

auntiegwen said...

Now I have to have a wee lie down, you've made me feel so tired!

Hullaballoo said...

Wow, chestnut cupcakes sound amazing. Wonderful to be well and slimmer and enjoying the end of term singing to the utmost. Merry Christmas. I have been posting in my blog and loving it, even though it takes a wee while to get back into it again. I still read your blog throughout my blogging sabbatical, love your energetic updates.

scrappysue said...

YES it's true - you are well!!! YAAAAAAAAY!!!

Muddling Along Mummy said...

First Defence really works? Right I'm offto try and buy some - we seem to have lurched from sniffle to sniffle the last couple of months

Crystal Jigsaw said...

OMG, these look amazing!!

As for Vicks First Defence, I bought some and used it a couple of times. I think it might have worked but unfortunately it didn't work last week when I developed the cold from hell!

CJ xx