Saturday, 6 November 2010

Super soup!

Lizzy at Quest for Yummy Mummy Status has tagged me. It's been ages since I've been tagged. I'm usually too busy to do the long list ones, but this one was very close to my heart. She's asked me to share a winter warmer soup recipe.

I LOVE SOUP!

We have soup every Monday because it's easy to get it ready after arriving home from work and before dropping daughter off at Rainbows, then I've enough time to come home, cook it and whizz it, then I pick her up and come home and reheat it. Any leftovers can be frozen for school holiday lunches. Perfect!

But which recipe to share?

I love to try different recipes and recently borrowed a Covent Garden Soup Company recipe book from the school library (how school libraries have changed!) and did the Maple Roasted Parsnip Soup. Nice.

I'm currently waiting for Jerusalem artichokes to come in the shops so I can make my Cream of Artichoke soup and of course, I've already said that I've been making plenty of Thai Pumpkin Soup recently.

Well, in true Working Mum style, I thought I would tell you about the quickest, easiest, tastiest, storecupboard soup that I make when I'm rushing in from work, no time to peel or chop and with nothing in the house. A real 'WM Strategy' Soup.

WM's Butterbean Soup:

  • 2 x 410g cans butterbeans
  • 1.5 pts vegetable stock (I like Just Bouillon)
  • 1tbsp green pesto
  • 1tbsp sun dried tomato paste
Tip the butterbeans in a large pan and add the stock. Heat and then simmer for 5 mins. Add pesto and paste, then whizz until smooth. Voila!

PS I love my hand held wand blender for whizzing, no transferring soup to a blender, just do it in the pan; if you get one with a stainless steel shaft you don't have to wait for the soup to cool, either. This is mine:
PS Tag can be picked up by anyone with a lovely winter warmer soup recipe, just let me know if you do it so I can try out your recipe.

8 comments:

libby said...

What a wonderful idea .. quick easy butterbean soup...can't wait to try it..thanks!

Polly said...

Yum, sounds delicious!

Maggie May said...

That sounds really good and will try it out soon.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

yummymummyquest said...

Perfect! This sounds so good! I love that there's no prep for it! And I like your comment on the hand blender. I do the same, only mine is a plastic one and I often find myself wondering if it's heat-proof! Am thinking I should probably invest in a metal version too before I find out that it isn't! Thank you!

claire said...

Sounds yummy and I'll have to try it...only problem is we're now going into Summer and soup tends to be off the menu in mid 30c. I'll have to make a note of it and try it in June next year!!!!!

Alcoholic Daze (ADDY) said...

Will have to try it. It sounds quick and nutritious. I also have a nice one with onions, kidney beans, pasta and all-bran (don't laugh, all-bran makes a good thickener!!) It is also quick to make and healthy.

libby said...

Made your soup for dinner tonight with some walnut bread on the side...my husband wanted it a bit spicier so we added a tin of refried beans...so gorgeous! thank you.

Working Mum said...

Libby - that's great! I love adapting recipes myself.