Monday, 20 September 2010

More tea, vicar?

So, daughter joined the Year 2 Drama Club at school.

Their first production?

The Harvest Festival Assembly.

Daughter came home very upset that she was allocated the part of Villager 1 with only one line to speak. I said the usual stuff:

"You have to start small"

"Do it well and you'll get more lines next time"

"Maybe you'll have more to say in the Nativity"

Well, the very next day, as I was taking daughter into school, I bumped into the teacher in charge of Drama Club looking quite flustered.

"The boy playing the vicar has pulled out!" she said.

Seeing my opportunity to make my daughter happy, and having my feminist head on, I jumped in:

"Couldn't Izzy play a female vicar?" I asked.

"Well, if you think she's got the confidence" she said.

I didn't mention that daughter has got up and entertained the whole congregation at our church on more than one occasion, I just said, "I think so".

"Well, if you're sure, try it with her and see" she said, and thrust the script in my hand.

When we got home I realised what I'd done.

Two pages of dialogue, the biggest part in the assembly and we've got ten days to learn it.

Why did I open my big mouth?

9 comments:

Sass said...

That'll teach you.

Ha ha - Izzy'll be a star. And female vicars rock.

Expat mum said...

Ooh, that classes you as a "stage mother" doesn't it?
I'm sure she'll be fab and make you proud.

The Dotterel said...

Break a leg! I'm sure it'll be a breeze.

Kelloggsville said...

hey hey, welcome to the pushy parent club!!!!

Maggie May said...

She can do it.
Amber is also learning lines for Musical Theatre but not 2 pages!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Tawny said...

Oh Dear! I am sure she will be fabulous! I agree with Sass, female vicars certainly do rock!

Mean Mom said...

Good for you! I wish that I could be more that way inclined. I'm so cautious, I would rarely jump in like that - and so quick thinking, too - a female vicar! She'll be great!

Polly said...

Lots of luck to Izzy - Im sure she will be a star.

scrappysue said...

bloody stage mothers!!!! hehe - i bet she'll shine!