Saturday, 11 September 2010

Mini Masterchef

Ever since she could wield a spoon I've been encouraging daughter to join in with cooking. However, a lot of "children's" cookery involves baking and then decorating, which is great for a creative outlet ...............

Remember the biscuit bears?


And the Valentines Cupcakes that won her a prize in English Mum's Valentine Bakeoff?


......... but does tend to involve a lot of fat and sugar.

Now, I've always talked to her about the nutritional benefits of her food and she knows what's good for muscle, bone and immune systems, but she hasn't made much more than fresh fruit kebabs and the said cakes and biscuits. I wanted to enable her to cook healthy, nutritious meals, but wasn't sure how to begin.

Luckily, the BBC Good Food magazine (my cooking Bible) has been doing series of little pull out pages called "We love to cook" taking one ingredient per month and creating three recipes suitable for children aged 3 - 6, 5 - 9 and 8 - 14. I've been cutting them out and keeping them, waiting for an appropriate time to introduce them to her.

I needn't have worried, after a summer of being addicted to "Celebrity Masterchef" (and correctly predicting the winner), daughter announced "I want to cook like that!" so I quickly whipped out the recipes and away she went!

After making the Strawberry Jellies (from powdered gelatine) she started to suggest her own versions with different fruits and juices!

Then she moved on to Cheesy Courgette Pizza and talked about other combinations of toppings.

Her next offering is Sweet & Sticky Chicken Noodles - yum.

I think I've unleashed a Mini Masterchef!

(If you have any budding Masterchefs at home, and would like to try some, the "We love to cook" recipes are available here )

6 comments:

Mrs Average said...

At the ripe old age of 2, Master A loves to cook too. In fact we have arguements about not having the 'helping chair' in the kitchen all of the time. Thanks for the foodie link. As Mr A is working tomorrow, we shall see what takes our fancy and give it a whirl.

Maggie May said...

I think thats an amazing way to get children interested in cooking!
You never know.......her ladyship might be on TV one day!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Working Mum said...

Mrs Average - that's great! Looks like you have a mini masterchef as well!

Maggie May - I can just imagine her cooking up a storm for John and Greg!

Rachel said...

I seem to remember a my first savoury dish was a dip composed of Philadelphia, Mayonnaise and Ketchup which was then served with celery and carrot sticks..

Courgette Pizza sounds good!

Nicol said...

Thanks for sharing the recipes. I really want to teach Olivia to cook and it's easier to have tested recipes to use.

Jacki said...

Thank you for sharing these, also! My Emma loves to help me out in the kitchen, and has recently started to make dishes on her own. I just tell her what to do, and she does all the chopping and cooking. Recently, she made us a pasta dish with fresh basil and tomatoes from the garden.

I have recently discovered some British cooking magazines at our local bookstore, and I love them. Unfortunately, they are about $10 each month, so I can't buy them all the time.