Wednesday, 4 August 2010

Dear PR person.......

For the past year or so my e-mail inbox has been overflowing with approaches from PR/Advertising/Marketing companies looking to cash in on the blogging phenomenon with some free advertising.

At first I was polite and I replied to each approach with a simple "No, thank you".

I replied to the ones I would definitely not advertise in a million years (eg multivitamins for children - feed them properly in the first place, chocolate breakfast cereals - again, feed them properly) to explain my reasons why I would not endorse their product.

I even had an approach from the Family Tax Credit people, who got a bit of a rant about the fact that I've spent six years telling the Inland Revenue (or whatever they are called now) that I don't want to claim Tax Credits and please stop sending me forests of paper every year with threats if I don't fill them in - I don't want your money!

Now there are so many approaches I can't keep up, so I'll just go for some blanket advice:

  1. I know you are busy people approaching lots of bloggers so don't patronise me by reading my most recent post and pretending you know all about my blog - I don't expect you to know all about out it. It also puts me off when you say that my children are cute - I have ONE child!
  2. However, DO take 30 seconds to read my profile so you have some idea whether your product is suitable for me, eg I have a six year old daughter - I don't need breastfeeding/bottle feeding/weaning or nappy products
  3. Similarly, note that I live in Manchester and have a full time job so the chances of my being able to attend your product launch in London on a Wednesday afternoon are zilch! (The clue is in the title of my blog)
  4. Have a quick shufty at my blog - notice anything? It's like the BBC - no adverts. You have to be a product pretty close to my heart to get an endorsement (Green & Black's may apply, of course)
  5. Advertising costs, and I don't mean a free car seat or box of cereal, but cash. Like you pay the magazines, newspapers and TV companies. Why should blogs advertise your stuff for free?
  6. Following on from that, don't you think you've milked blogland enough now? If I see a sponsored post starting "The lovely people from company X sent me Y...." I just move on.
If anyone has a genuine approach with something that would interest me and be relevant to my being a working mum in the 21st century, then feel free to contact me, but otherwise, I'm sorry, I won't be giving you free advertising space on my blog.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

thumbs up from me! (it's Jen here, google won't let me log in)

Expat mum said...

So agree. They really have a nerve don't they? Especially the ones who want you to write the copy and link to them - like they're going to link back to you.
I used to send polite replies, now I just politely ignore them.

Catch the Kids said...

Good for you! I also tend to skip when I see sponsored posts. They really aren't very interesting, are they.

Tawny said...

I did one sponsored post and never ever again! I too am fed up of the emails, especially when they say we thought you would be interested in this and it is something aimed at 5 year old boys not an 11 year old girl!

Moannie said...

No one has ever asked me, guess I am not anywhere near their radar, thank goodness. What could I possibly advertise:silver rinse,wrinkle cream,funerals?

Good advice, I shall be ready to pounce should one of them stray into my territory.

Claire said...

Happy Wedding Anniversary!!!

Helen Conway said...

Dear Working Mum,
I have been reading your blog and wonder if you would be interested in advertising our product. We are a company which provides sifting services for unwanted blog comments. It enables you to turn on blog comment moderator with out having to waste your baking time (Great cupcakes by the way) actually moderating. We offer a range of services. At the lower end we can simply rant on the bloggers behalf saving the blogger dangerous levels of cortisone in their blood. At the middle range of services we can spam unwelcome bloggers with invitations to advertise your blog on their website. Our premium level service hunts people down and well... we can't say really, but it is an effective method involving Black and Decker drills. Please let us know if this is of interest to you.
Yours faithfully,
Remedies4U Ltd.

Helen Conway said...

Dear Working Mum,
I have been reading your blog and wonder if you would be interested in advertising our product. We are a company which provides sifting services for unwanted blog comments. It enables you to turn on blog comment moderator with out having to waste your baking time (Great cupcakes by the way) actually moderating. We offer a range of services. At the lower end we can simply rant on the bloggers behalf saving the blogger dangerous levels of cortisone in their blood. At the middle range of services we can spam unwelcome bloggers with invitations to advertise your blog on their website. Our premium level service hunts people down and well... we can't say really, but it is an effective method involving Black and Decker drills. Please let us know if this is of interest to you.
Yours faithfully,
Remedies4U Ltd.

Jacki said...

I ignore all of them except for cookbook reviews. I can't pass up the chance for a free cookbook!

Muddling Along Mummy said...

I only do ones for things I'd like to try / do - it does amuse me when they really haven't checked out the blog before emailing but I guess they send hundreds of mails out

Still is sometimes nice to be asked!

Iota said...

A couple of times I've replied to invitations to events in London and asked if they pay travel costs. They both replied politely that "on this occasion" they would be unable to. Pity. Was hoping to get a transatlantic flight out of them.