At first I was polite and I replied to each approach with a simple "No, thank you".
I replied to the ones I would definitely not advertise in a million years (eg multivitamins for children - feed them properly in the first place, chocolate breakfast cereals - again, feed them properly) to explain my reasons why I would not endorse their product.
I even had an approach from the Family Tax Credit people, who got a bit of a rant about the fact that I've spent six years telling the Inland Revenue (or whatever they are called now) that I don't want to claim Tax Credits and please stop sending me forests of paper every year with threats if I don't fill them in - I don't want your money!
Now there are so many approaches I can't keep up, so I'll just go for some blanket advice:
- I know you are busy people approaching lots of bloggers so don't patronise me by reading my most recent post and pretending you know all about my blog - I don't expect you to know all about out it. It also puts me off when you say that my children are cute - I have ONE child!
- However, DO take 30 seconds to read my profile so you have some idea whether your product is suitable for me, eg I have a six year old daughter - I don't need breastfeeding/bottle feeding/weaning or nappy products
- Similarly, note that I live in Manchester and have a full time job so the chances of my being able to attend your product launch in London on a Wednesday afternoon are zilch! (The clue is in the title of my blog)
- Have a quick shufty at my blog - notice anything? It's like the BBC - no adverts. You have to be a product pretty close to my heart to get an endorsement (Green & Black's may apply, of course)
- Advertising costs, and I don't mean a free car seat or box of cereal, but cash. Like you pay the magazines, newspapers and TV companies. Why should blogs advertise your stuff for free?
- Following on from that, don't you think you've milked blogland enough now? If I see a sponsored post starting "The lovely people from company X sent me Y...." I just move on.