Sunday, 4 July 2010

WM takes on the WF?

Oh dear.

My reputation for making delectable cupcakes has finally got me into trouble.

How so?

Well, the young, enthusiastic curate at our church (who happens to be a friend of mine) was so disappointed with the Women's Fellowship's performance in the tea and cake department at the Summer Fair this year that she has asked me if I could infiltrate the organisation and revamp the set up for next year.

She wants me to do a bit of a "Mary Queen of Shops" and show these ladies another way: the cupcake way. She wants fabulous cakes displayed on beautiful cake plates and stands on crisply tableclothed tables attracting the sweet toothed of the parish to part with their cash.

After all, my little beauties did raise £100 for Haiti on Valentine's Day:



And these went down a storm at the school Christmas Fair:


The problem?

Unfortunately, the ladies of the WF have been baking the same tired old cakes and selling them off green church plates for fifty years. They haven't realised that times have changed and some dry battenburg and a coconut macaroon doesn't hit the spot any more.

Of course, they are ladies with fifty years of baking experience who are well capable of creating fabulous cakes, but are they going to listen to a young whipersnapper like me who has only been baking for twenty years?

Moreover, these ladies consist of my MIL and her cronies.

Nuff said.

I suspect even Mary would fail with this one!

Help!

16 comments:

Alcoholic Daze (ADDY) said...

You'll have to be something of a cross between Jamie Oliver and Gareth Malone and just make 'em know that "young" doesn't mean no talent. I'm sure they'll come round, when they see your work..

libby said...

Thorny problem there WM...but your cakes are so gorgeous...and you have been asked to do it...the answer is out in the universe somewhere and will present itself! perhaps including the MIL in some way? or is that asking too much of the fates??

Spencer Park said...

Show them the pictures of your cakes - they couldn't help but move with the times then! They look yummy!!

Working Mum said...

Addy and Spencer - I was thinking of sending some in for the Christmas Fair at church so they can see them first and then maybe offering to do "Cupcake Decorating Demonstration" at one of their weekly meetings? Planting the seeds so to speak.

Libby - my MIL has seen me making them at home, so maybe she could be my way in........

Moannie said...

Oh! Definately prefer your gorgeous offerings. Yes, the cooking lesson would be the best way in. I'd be there in a shot.

Ladybird World Mother said...

Oh my giddy aunt... good luck!! Why dont you ask them all over to your house for a 'meeting' and wow them with your cakes...
Bloody hell, I wish we had some here now... they look gorgeous.xx

Mummy Cow said...

Hang on a minute... just as term ends you have to take on a new project?? Yes, I'd buy your cakes, which look amazing, but you need a break!!!
MCx

Working Mum said...

Moannie - I'm glad my idea gets your seal of approval; I'll give it more thought.

Mummy Cow - no, I won't be tackling this 'till next spring, if I do it at all! Summer will be painting and varnishing doors, clearing the side path and laying a gravel path, stripping and painting the front porch step,......... :)

Kelloggsville said...

can I have the date of the fayre and I will come up (holidays abroad allowing) and say "my, what wonderful cakes, how refreshing to see these fantastically professional delights at a church sale" !! In the meantime time take 500g of patience, 250g of smiling through gritted teeth and 500mls of ignoring "but that's not the way we do it here"'s

good luck x

becomingkate said...

They're lovely!

Catharine Withenay said...

In my experience, old dears are always delighted when someone new and fresh comes along with ideas ... and, in time, they'll go along with it. Try selling it as a 'one-off' special: that feels a lot less intimidating to them. Then, when they see its success, they can come up with the idea (themselves) of doing it again!
Of course, I never have to do this with my MIL...

diney said...

Wowzer! I thought my cup cakes were pretty amazing but those are absolutely stunning - and those oldies will just have to accept that the young whipper snapper can show them a thing or two!

Mean Mom said...

Just give them the opportunity to try one of your cupcakes and I'm sure that they will be begging you for a recipe and hints and tips!

Polly said...

I just love your cupcakes WM.
However - telling these old biddies how to bake might be much the same as telling the CWA how to make scones......bad bad news!!

Maggie May said...

Oh dear...... that is quite a challenge you have there.
Your cup cakes are magnificent and look so modern and bright and delicious.
I think you should work on your MIL and get her to throw her weight about. If you tell her you trust her to help change things then she might be able to show pictures of your lovely cakes and persuade them to follow suit. Maybe you could have a cupcake evening soon and invite a few prominent ladies round to share ideas.
Goos Luck with it.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Those Christmas cakes look divine! I imagine the WF recipes will be from generations before so it won't be easy to change them!

CJ xx