Friday, 16 July 2010

Now why didn't I think of that?

Last Saturday I had a concert in the Lake District. I arranged a car share with my friend, Elizabeth, who suggested that we meet up en route with our families, have some time together and then we two go on to Hawkshead while the hubbies and children return home.

No, no, no, no, no, no!

Having a concert is a chance for me to have some time for me!

So I pursuaded her to dump the kids on the hubbies and head for the Lakes alone. And that's what we did.

We arrived in Ambleside (in pouring rain, on the second day of the hosepipe ban!) and had a lovely lunch in a typically English tea shop. We wandered around the beautiful shops buying handmade chocolates and enthusing over gorgeous stationery and other girly things.

Then went to Gaynor Sports (my favourite outdoor pursuits shop) to buy a much needed waterproof and look for some pink walking boots for daughter (they have the perfect pair, I will go back with her to try them on). I'm hoping pink ones will encourage her to go walking with us.

After buying hubby another 40th birthday present (does he know how lucky he is?) - a limited edition photo "The Kippax Roars" by Stuart Roy Clarke from The Homes of Football, we moved on to Hawkshead and another tea shop.

After a rehearsal in the Parish Church and yet more tea and biscuits in the Market Hall, we performed a successful concert and then made our way to the Red Lion for an after concert buffet.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable day.

We finally returned home at 12.45am where upon Elizabeth said, "Maybe we could invent a concert and have another day out?"

Hmmmmmm, now there's an idea!

4 comments:

BNM said...

Yeah, have one in Wales...

BNMx

Moannie said...

Time alone with friends is just what a busy wife and mother needs, and deserves. How wise you are.

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Sounds like a lovely trip you had, especially to the tea shop. I haven't done that in ages, eventhough we have a lovely one in the next village of Bamburgh.

CJ xx

Snaffles Mummy said...

sounds heavenly. We all need some time to ourselves. Glad you had a fab day.